Repairing a Flite - is it possible?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I've got a Flite from a new secondhand bike I've purchased that has defintely seen better days (scuffs to leather and two large holes on the rear corners).

Can this be saved/reupholstered? It seems a shame not to use it but in it's current state it looks a bit sorry for itself.

Cheers

Ed

was wondering that myself , i have a red one that some of the leather has lifted on the underneath around the edges

they must just use some type of glue ?

should be able to get them recovered by someone that does , horse sadlles and the like ?

Any good upholsterer should be able to do that for you (It's just down to if they are willing to do something so small, especially when the cost will be greater than a new one). A friend had one redone in 1970's flowery vinyl 'leather', now that was cool!

You can use superglue to stick down the leather if it peels from the bottom. I've also seen people use superglue when they've crashed and put a small hole in the leather - it stiffens it and stops the hole getting larger.

Alternatively, the retro solution is to pull all the leather and foam padding off the saddle and just ride the plastic shell - anyone remember that racers and weight weenies used to do that?

yup, it can be done. I took mine to a shoe upholsters in surrey (neat & quick in fetchum (sp!)). most normal bike saddles use real thin calf leather. they used much thicker stuff that lasted ages, like 7yrs on the commuter bike.

Like the idea of riding on the plastic shell although isn't it a)uncomfortable and b) gives you a very clammy chamois?

Will have to get myself down the cobblers!

Ed

all those bare carbon saddles arent so different from flite without the padding. plenty of couriers use bare unpadded saddles.

Prevention

I treat my Flite with clear shoe wax / leather treatment and it always comes up a treat - Renapur it's called

http://www.renapur.com/

Mrs Kestonian bought some for her boat shoes years ago and it's still going strong - don't tell her what I use it for though ;-)

Back