1964 Witcomb

Scruff

Dirt Disciple
Having bought it from a retiree four years ago, I've finally started to get this together. Was actually thinking of selling it back in July '10, see page 7 of "Road bike, how much" thread.

Managed to speak last year with Barry Witcomb who built it, he confirmed it was made in January 1964 and was the "Professionale" model. I've managed to get hold of a 1963 Witcomb catalogue with the model listed and gathered some parts that could have been fitted originally, along with little extras that were specified on Witcomb cycles at the time - Coloured cables (Ribbed green), contrasting cloth tape, contrasting Bluemels mudguards etc.

Flat enamel green when purchased, although under the headbadge the headtube was black. Went for Flam Ruby and added olympic ring decals that would have been fitted originally. Apologies for the cameraphone pictures, will add some better ones when she's completed.

Attachments

• Wbits.jpg
    Wbits.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,765
  • Wbuild2.jpg
    Wbuild2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • WSlug.jpg
    WSlug.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,764
Looks v.nice, you rarely go wrong with flam red, its a classic; and the flam green guards (Bluemels?)

Who did the paint?

Look forward to seeing it built up.

Well done.

Roadking.

The mudguards are new old stock "Sprint Veloce" model, metallic / flam green. Ellis Briggs did the refinishing, will have to watch the spanners when rebuilding.

Scruff":hy1jnl0l said:
The mudguards are new old stock "Sprint Veloce" model, metallic / flam green. Ellis Briggs did the refinishing, will have to watch the spanners when rebuilding.

I managed to source some NoS Bluemels guards in a similar colour to yours for my 1951 Hobbs.

You can't beat the pleasure in building a newly restored frame up, but as you say care is required.

Rk.

Very nice bike it is going to be. Interesting pics. Thanks for sharing. What component specs do you opt for? What stem do I see?

Current components

TDC Italia headset, GB spearpoint stem, Coureur 66 brakes, GB Superhood levers, GB Maes type bars, Campagnolo twin bolt seat post, Brooks Professional saddle ('65), Bluemels Sprint Veloce mudguards, Lyotard pedals and T/A cranks and bottom bracket. I've got some Gripfast wing nuts and World Tour tyres but still deciding on wheels and gear set-up.

Wbits is a great pic! Reminds me a little of this pic of Jaques Tati.

Ian.

Attachments

• Tati Bike.jpg
    Tati Bike.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,711
Back