Quik's 1992 GT Zaskar LE (Nearly Finished)

Waiting for parts and decals to arrive now. I've got some new shifters and a rear derailleur coming. Thanks simracing and elllguapo.

Also waiting for some new decals to arrive from Gil M. Thanks mate.

I'm getting pretty excited about putting it all together and have begun the cleanup - i'm guessing postage to NZ from the UK is about ten days which gives me plenty of time.

In the mean time. Two questions.

1. Anyone who has put decals on a Zaskar or bare alum frame have recommendations about how best to apply them.

2. Does anyone recognise or have a clean picture of this decal. It was at the bottom of the seat tube by the cranks.

Attachments

• Decal.JPG
    Decal.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 877
QuikNZ":2g2g30ih said:
2. Does anyone recognise or have a clean picture of this decal. It was at the bottom of the seat tube by the cranks.

I may be wrong but assuming this is on the rear of the seat tube it's not a GT sticker (might be the dealer who supplied it).

MADJEZ":avdp0x92 said:
QuikNZ":avdp0x92 said:

I may be wrong but assuming this is on the rear of the seat tube it's not a GT sticker (might be the dealer who supplied it).

you are wrong :LOL: (not to sound like a smartass)

its the decal that says Made is USA and 6061 T6 Alloy. (or to that effect). mtbdave has one on his 93 RTS1, i am sure he could take a good close up picture of it, if you ask him

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i37 ... /001-6.jpg

tips for putting decals on? well find a catalogue image of the original, so you get them in exactly the right spot.

hold them in place with masking tape, stand back and look at it for a while, have a cuppa then look at it again. look at the catalogue, then look at your bike again. have another cuppa. once you are certain they are right, then mark with a felt pen or similar, alignment marks at each end of the top covering application papers and onto the frame. take decal off frame carefully and slowly remove backing papers, i find folding it over itself and carefully rolling back the best way.

Wipe the area of frame with a microfibre or lint free cloth and acetone.

hold the decal stretched tight. align one end of your mark with the mark on the frame and lightly stick the corner. then hold tight and in line with your other mark.

once you are confident, take a deep breath, pull the decal tight and adhere it to the frame starting at the already stuck end, and gently smooth it down all the way to the other end.

go over the application strip with a rag to really push the decal down hard. leave it for half an hour the slowly peel the application tape off, in the same manner as described above for the backing tape.

et voila!

merckx":op418lux said:
MADJEZ":op418lux said:

Guilty.. tho in my defence the chainring is on the wrong side in the photo so I thought it was on the back of the seattube !
T6 one).

MADJEZ":18df80ix said:
merckx":18df80ix said:
MADJEZ":18df80ix said:

Guilty.. tho in my defence the chainring is on the wrong side in the photo so I thought it was on the back of the seattube !
T6 one).

Actually i've just realised I was the one at fault, the chain ring isn't on the other side. I re-looked at the photo and thought it must have been inverted somehow. Then I went and looked at the frame and realised that the decal was actually on the down tube, not the seat tube.

Oops.

Update time. Well, its not finished yet but its close and its definitely ride-able.

I've tried to keep the build as close to original spec as possible and also as cheap as possible. I've also been realistic about the frame which has been ridden hard and has quite a few scratches on it. I haven't gone to town on sanding, just tried to keep it polished and simple.

So what have I done so far:

-Degreasing, cleaning, scrubbing and sanding of components.
-Replaced the rear mech and shifters with period correct Deore XT.
-New cables
-Full service on hubs gears, brakes
-Polished and polished some more
-Decals from Gil M

Pictures are going up now because I'm tired of keeping it perfectly clean all the time and want to get these photos up. I'll post some more when its complete.

I still need to add
-New seat and seat post
-New wider handlebar for riding
-Might upgrade forks at some point but MAG21s will do for now
-New tyres

I apologise for the ugly SPD pedals.

Attachments

• photo (900x672).jpg
    photo (900x672).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 686
  • photo (2) (900x672).jpg
    photo (2) (900x672).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 686
  • photo (3) (900x672).jpg
    photo (3) (900x672).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 686
  • photo (7) (900x672).jpg
    photo (7) (900x672).jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 686
  • photo (6) (900x672).jpg
    photo (6) (900x672).jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 686
  • photo (5) (900x672).jpg
    photo (5) (900x672).jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 686
  • photo (4) (900x672).jpg
    photo (4) (900x672).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 686
  • photo (1) (900x672).jpg
    photo (1) (900x672).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 686
The light isn't the best for the photos but looking back at the original photos i'm pretty happy where its at. It doesn't look anything like it did when I got it and I haven't had to do anything drastic yet. Close to original spec and nicely tidied up.

Can't wait to ride it but have to wait until the weekend. After i've ridden it for a while I think I will come back to it and really mint it up.

:D

GT-Steve":1uitguab said:
Looking good, and those early decals are my favourite by a long way.. :cool:

Thanks man.

Gil M does a great job with the decals. They really brought the bike to life and I'm not sure the photos do justice to the frame. I'll try to get a couple of photos while out and about.

Latest posts

Back