2001 Kona Kilauea - JPS Special

Spent a few hours last week stripping the paint from the frame.

I used Nitromors initially, but was given a tin of industrial stuff we use at work.... POW.... paint came straight off! To get the last bits of primer off however, I used the stripper and a 3M Scotch pad (roughly equivalent to 800grit). Stipper ate through my gloves tho, and turned my fingertips black :LOL:

Gave the frame to the powdercoat guy last week, so should be done as soon as we have our next job in that colour.

I have seen the proofs for the graphics, and its gonna look lovely! :cool:

G

... I also finally removed the P2's from my Street-Dirt-Play-Cruiser type Specialized Vegas 24, only to realise that I'd been sitting on a set of '96 TB's for the past 15years....

... glad I never got round to buying any now!

They'll be getting stripped tonight, and painted up as well, with matching graphics. We use the same paint supplier as Mclaren, and have some tins of the same silver they use for the F1 team.... :cool:

G

Anthony":jxs7xjch said:
What does it weigh with no paint?

Dammit... forgot to weigh it before I took it to work!
I will try and get a weight using the paint mix scales... it should be powdercoated in the afternoon :cool:

I am getting the graphics redesigned by my colleague, and printed in-house too, on 6 or 800 (i think) micron vinyl, then i wil clear coat it at home for depth

G

PC died this morning at work, do had spare time to pop to the paint shop at work and wiegh the bare frame on the paint scales... 1971.5g.... 4.3lbs.... however this is with two acrylic plugs in the BB threads, so take off another 5g

Not bad really. Within 20g or so of the "superior" tubes of the '95 Explosif and '96 Kilauea

Happy

G

Frame has been powdercoated for a week or so now, but a slight hold-up with the graphics has been frustrating. Basically, because I wanted it done in gold leaf, the printer is a bit more "retro" than the graphics software, so they had to be redrawn.

I have seen a few testers, and they look so cool. Have also collected a few choice bits for the rebuild ;)

The guys in the studio should have them done in a day or so, and then its back down to the paint shop for some 2k clear to prtect them. If I can get my back wheel rebuilt on Friday, I should be riding again on Sunday!

Will be taking pictures as the rebuild goes on, and post up when its finished.... CANT WAIT

G

xced":2spsot5o said:
you have a Saab as well!

Did.....:cry:

c7a18ec5.jpg

8694ed9c.jpg

3fa591aa.jpg

Don't think I'll ever have a car I love more

G

Back