Dambuster's Raid Ride.

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Me and six pals went for a relaxing 25 miles around Woodhall Spa yesterday, lovely sunny day, took in a few sights including - Dambuster's Officer's Mess, 617 Memorial Garden, the Wellington monument.

Very hot, but some cracking roads, reason for the ride? Well 69 years ago this month brave English chaps flew to Germany to strike a blow for freedom: we thought we'd commemorate that in our own little way.

And just as we were having an ice cream in the memorial garden guess what? The BBMF Lancaster flew over, not once but several times.

Wish you'd been there?

I sometimes think I must be the only one actually out riding.

Roadking.

Used to live, just down the road from scampton the dambuster's base from which those iconic raids were launched from. Used to see the bbmf quite a lot. Nothing like hearing all them all fly over low. I miss living in bomber county.

Dambusters.

poweredbypies":1nvyep3z said:
Used to live, just down the road from scampton the dambuster's base from which those iconic raids were launched from. Used to see the bbmf quite a lot. Nothing like hearing all them all fly over low. I miss living in bomber county.

617 was actually based at Woodhall Spa (hence the Dambuster's memorial is there, and the preserved officer's mess), but the famous raid (Operation Chastise) was launched from Scampton as you say.

Purpose of this post was to try (yet again) to generate some interest in road rides in Lincolnshire...I've posted a number of rides before they were due to take place but no interest whatsoever - therefore any churlish remarks (longun) unwelcome.

Rk.

Should hopefully be moving back home in the near future, I would be interested in joing you for a ride. Thats as long as you dont mind having a fat slow bloke joining in, whose idea of fluid intake is a flask of coffee :LOL:

not a childish remark chief, genuinly happy you wnet out!

we rode offroad around binbrook on rememberence day, dont get out that often now due to be extremely busy with priority commitments

also i was skydiving raising money for cancer research so think that was better suited, dont you?

post in the road section for possibly more interest, iirc, most the retroriders from around here are mtb focused, i ride road but only to get my legs spinning, would love to ride more but cannot.

dont take the hump everytime, some of us genuinly do ride and appreciate all the efforts made, lets not turn this into a car forum hostility eh.

friends :D

longun":2hrmfp71 said:
not a childish remark chief, genuinly happy you wnet out!

we rode offroad around binbrook on rememberence day, dont get out that often now due to be extremely busy with priority commitments

also i was skydiving raising money for cancer research so think that was better suited, dont you?

post in the road section for possibly more interest, iirc, most the retroriders from around here are mtb focused, i ride road but only to get my legs spinning, would love to ride more but cannot.

dont take the hump everytime, some of us genuinly do ride and appreciate all the efforts made, lets not turn this into a car forum hostility eh.

friends :D

I apologise, I thought I detected a little sarcasm.

No hostility whatsoever, and I genuinely commend your Remembrance Day ride - ours was reported, luckily, in the local paper.

I don't get out on my Stumpjumper much, trying to buy a new riser handlebar, the original Answer Taperlite (like me) is a little uncomfortable these days!

Roadking :D .

roadking":1x1b47x1 said:
Woodhall Spa yesterday, lovely sunny day, took in a few sights including the Wellington monument. Roadking.

Where on earth is the Wellington monument ?

Cheers.
Ian.

roadking":2x7rnrqm said:
Very hot, but some cracking roads, reason for the ride? Well 69 years ago this month brave English chaps flew to Germany to strike a blow for freedom.

Ahem!

"Led by 24 year-old Wing Commander Guy Gibson, a veteran of over 170 bombing and night-fighter missions, 21 bomber crews were selected from existing squadrons in 5 Group. These crews included RAF personnel of several different nationalities, as well as members of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF), who were frequently attached to RAF squadrons under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The squadron was based at RAF Scampton, about 5 mi (8 km) north of Lincoln.

Back