1979 Neil orrell tourer

stedlocks

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Around Essex way, yesterday.....

c90cffd7.jpg

c04c12a2.jpg

I thought the patriotic colours suited the bike well!

Not sure on the honey brooks......might go back to black brooks and tape.....thoughts?

I like that very much... :cool: I'd stick with the honey seat and tape to be honest, though I expect black would look at least as good.

The lug detailing suits it too - sometimes I think it looks fussy but on yours it's spot-on. Any more info on the parts would be appreciated.

Looks great

That looks great :cool:
It looks like it would be a nice riding machine.
Agree with the above, a bit more info on components, ride, history etc.
Thanks for sharing :cool:

Oh! and not usually a big fan of this honey/brown coloured tape and seat combination that everybody is back into fitting but on this it suites it very nicely :cool: , I'd keep it.

Jamie

Thanks for the comments.....it rides Like a dream!
I'm torn between a black B17 narrow, or my old faithful B17 special...it's green though, but looks black!
I have some new honey brooks tape though.....I don't really like the fizik!
Full details are.....

23-1/2" Seat tube, Centre of BB to top of seat tube
531 ST (Special Touring) tubing, campagnolo ends (horizontal), chromed fork crown, 3/4 chromed front forks, 1/2 chromed rear triangle
Shimano 105 headset
Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed brake levers/shifters
Campag Mirage 9-speed rear mech
Sun Tour Cyclone front mech
Chainset SR Aerox 172.5, 46/36/28
Rear cartridge 9speed campagnolo 13-26
Campagnolo 9-speed chain
Rear wheel Campagnolo Mirage hub, Campagnolo QR skewer, 27" Weinmann Alessa Rim, 36 stainless steel spoked
Front wheel unknown hub, Sachs QR skewer, 27" Weinmann Alessa Rim, 36 stainless steel spoked
Cinelli 90 mm stem
Tektro brake cantilevers
Wellgo SPD pedals
brooks professional in honey
Esge Chromoplastic mudguards
Blackburn alloy rack
Sigma Sport BC800 computer
Serial number NA960
Built in 1979 from Reynolds 531 St ( special touring) tubing

Currently, the wheels on there are shimano tiagra hubs with ambrosio evolution rims shod with Michelin world tour......I've got some dr sludge tubes in there too, for added weight!

The mini fagh d lock bumps it up a bit, but no matter how much you load it, it remains fast, stable and assured........
:0)

I know the components are so-so, but it all works together beautifully.
The history of it is that it used to belong to a policeman, who bought this tourer , and a race ike at the same time from Neil orrell in 1979... When he retired from cycling a couple of years ago, he tasked his nephew with selling all his cycling related stuff.... And there was a lot of it!
As well as the 2 orrells, there was a hetchins and some other, quality items.
I went down to see him, and it was an alladins cave of quality, retro, goodness!
I wanted both of the orrells, but couldn't afford them, so it was a very difficult choice. As I already had a hetchins race framed machine, I opted for this tourer..... And am glad that I did!
I'll try to find the thread and link I here.

I wasn't happy with the bar tape so changed it to cotton black tape by taping over the fizik.....a bit more comfort!
The saddle has been changed to a champion narrow B17 too.......the professional is on my gazelle CM AA special now :0)

64e9afa1.jpg

Thanks, that's what I thought too :0)
The fizik's colour was bothering me..... I've put the new honey brooks tape on the gazelle too!

Back