A new beginning (P5): 1995 Kona Humuhumu-Nukunuku-A-Pua'a

konafan":192b5y5p said:
What size are those tyres? Do you know if Scwalbe fat frank or similar ar 2.35 would have enough clearance on the Humu?
Those are 26 x 2.125"

Looking at the pics, I'd say that a 2.35 will be a tight fit, especially in the chainstay area.
Schwalbes also tend to have the widest section a bit more to the top of the tyre, which will make it even more difficult.

konafan":hybel85j said:
very nice this.

What size are those tyres? Do you know if Scwalbe fat frank or similar ar 2.35 would have enough clearance on the Humu?

thanks

Cheers :)

The tyres are 2.125" according what's on the tyre but they seem bigger to me. They fit pretty comfortable but I think 2.35" might be a bit tight but if you pulled the back wheel right back I reckon you could get away with it.

My second post :D.

photobucket-14021-1338104686719.jpg

I just purchased a Kona Humu a couple days ago. It is a bit of a frankenbike with aftermarket forks and handlebars. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of forks this bike uses? Is it 1 1/8" threaded or 1 1/8" threadless forks. Also what size steering tube does the Kona Humu has so that I may be able to attain the right fork for this classic bike. The guy says this bike is about 20 years old. If some one could lead me to the right direction in knowing which replacement rigid fork I could use I really would appreciate it.

Aloha and mahalo,

Al

mauiblue":1ivjnjr1 said:
My second post :D.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of forks this bike uses? Is it 1 1/8" threaded or 1 1/8" threadless forks. Also what size steering tube does the Kona Humu has so that I may be able to attain the right fork for this classic bike. The guy says this bike is about 20 years old. If some one could lead me to the right direction in knowing which replacement rigid fork I could use I really would appreciate it.

Aloha and mahalo,

Al

Hi Al and welcome,

There are plenty of Kona experts here who will confirm or deny this but I believe it is a 1996 model in an 18", possibly a 20". An 18" would have a 23.5" top tube centre-centre measured horizontally i.e. if you measure the actual top tube it will be longer as it is sloping. If it measures 24.5" then it is a 20". It would have originally come with Project 2 Sport forks, threaded for a standard headset. Someone may be able to confirm the steerer length required but you can just measure the steerer of the current forks to get the correct length.
The link below takes you to the gallery where most of the old catalogues are available.

Edit: Is there any sign that there have been old rear brake mounts that have been removed from the seat stays?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

Hope this helps?

Adrian

Aloha Adrian and mahalo for the response. I'm not sure if there was any rear brakes on the specimen I have as it is has been modified to a certain degree. It does have a rear coaster brake and a Shimano internal 7 speed hub with thumb shifter. After doing some research, I've verified the type of rigid fork you mentioned is what I need to replace the old suspension forks that are mounted on the frame now. I'm not going to restore the bike to original but would want to repaint the frame and put factory decals back on. Does anyone knows if the original decals can be purchased for the bike?

Sorry about hijacking the thead and appreciate the OP consideration.
[/quote]

mauiblue":1zn374x4 said:
Aloha Adrian and mahalo for the response. I'm not sure if there was any rear brakes on the specimen I have as it is has been modified to a certain degree. It does have a rear coaster brake and a Shimano internal 7 speed hub with thumb shifter. After doing some research, I've verified the type of rigid fork you mentioned is what I need to replace the old suspension forks that are mounted on the frame now. I'm not going to restore the bike to original but would want to repaint the frame and put factory decals back on. Does anyone knows if the original decals can be purchased for the bike?

Sorry about hijacking the thead and appreciate the OP consideration.

Contact Gil_M on here via PM for decals or through his website gil@thecycleshed.co.uk

I might be wrong but I think all the old Humu's had rear canti mounts so perhaps they have been removed? Mine is a '95 and still has them. They don't look great but I want to keep them in case I ever get rid of the the Nexus hub and coaster brake.

Hi Adrian. First off, thanks for letting me know about Gil and the decals. Gil is going to hook me up with some sweet repro decals. I was wondering how you build is going? Are you finish? I'm slowly but surly replacing parts on my Kona Humu and mechanically it is working fine. Will be changing the crankset and chainring soon. Pictures to come soon.

There was a Humu model with a three-speed hub gear and coaster brake as standard, I don't think that one had canti mounts.

Note to self: Either build or sell mine...

Thanks MikeD for that info about the Kona Humu. I thought it was originally single speed. Right now my project is snowballino a full blown rebuild and refinishing. Plan to repaint it candy red.

Back