Help!...need chain and cassette advice and opinion...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

I'm currently running a Shimano XT drivetrain-ish

- M760 crankset...like new
- M772 rear mech new 2 weeks ago
- M770 front mech n ew 3 months ago

- Chain sram PC 9.71 new 3 months ago
- Rear cassette Shimano HG-50 9 speed maybe a year old but looks fine...

So heres my issue. Although its shifting perfectly and both mechs are are working as they should...it just feels a bit "gritty"? Sort of like the chain has sand in it. I've cleaned both the chain and cassette but just feels ropey. Is the fact that its a sram chain the problem...or the wrong type of sram chain for this setup?...

One other consideration is that I lube the chain with just plain ol GT85 should I be using a specific chain lube? Everything else is like new...

So before I go and buy another cassette and chain what are peoples thoughts?

Cheers in advance

Wook

YES please use chain lube NOT gt85. I use gt85 to de grease which is essentially what you dont want. (Have you been to halfords? haha!).

Get a proper chain lube and clean the chain with washing up liquid and water.

Well thats a whole other minefield, first you need to decide whether you ride mostly wet or mostly dry.

Then have a search as there are already a few topics on best branded ones, read reviews etc.

yeah....I've seen the numerous tubes of stuff in the LBS...confused, yes, why I've been using GT85! Thing is my rides are both...the local routes i ride are both clay and sand...and depending on how the summer goes both wet and dry!...so do i need a different lube for different conditions?

Yes some cover wet/damp and others are dry/damp depending on the brand etc.
Im not sure if there is an all weather one.
There is also waxes and whatnot too.

Oh geeeeez! Its all starting to sound like hair styling products! Some thing which I am just as unfamiliar with due to ageing! Trying to research at the moment but like you say a minefield....I'm getting to the thought of one for wet/muddy condititon and one for dry dusty....God knows!...might just go for lard!

Haha!

I use 2 different ones. Normally the muc off ones. Work fine for me. I find the dry one does gather grit but i suspect its probably a common thing.

With riding 60 miles or so a week i clean/lube once a week generally.

Latest posts

Back