Braze on Cable guides

swingbing

Retro Newbie
Does anybody know where I can get hold of some braze on cable guides, the type which are most often used with a cable tie to secure brake lines these days?

Thanks, I'm new to this. Did stumble across their website but was put off as it looks very 'Retro'! I'll take another look.

I can help you out with those...£2 each incl plastic clip and UK postage:
IMG_5668.jpg

The plastic clips are for 5mm hoses, but the steel saddle will take a zip tie if you run fat 6mm hoses, braided etc.

Ceeway are pretty retro, concentrating on steel parts, lugs etc. They've been around since it wasn't retro...;) but there is some nice modern stuff under What's New
Also have a look at Paragon Machineworks.

All the best,

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yup, no problem doing small brazing and silver soldering with one of those.
You'd need something bigger (or hotter) for lugs etc, but propane's fine for braze ons.

Something like this
should do the job nicely, 660degrees, flux cleans off with hot water.

All the best,

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Great, thanks for the info. It puts my mind at ease to have a recommendation.

I need 13 guides! Seems like a lot but I counted 3 times. Can you do me a discount for bulk?!

Also, would something like this make a better long term investment in your opinion? Think it should create a bit more heat?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIEVERT-PROPA ... 500wt_1067

Thanks again

Sure, no problem for bulk...let's say £1.50 each + post. Should save about a tenner.

Silverline (the cheaper one) is probably OK for a small job, but personally I'd go for the Sievert torch for the extra cash. Swedish quality rather than the Chinese copy. They're top quality propane torches, and have great support and range of options (http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/heating-c107.html)

The 2941 burner's a pretty good small burner for braze-ons, you'd need something bigger for lugs etc, preferably one of their cyclone burners, which spin the flame to wrap it around the tube.
Also, an upgrade to the 3488 handle, with the cut-off pilot light trigger is well worth it.

Bigger burners aren't hotter, but you get more volume of heat...think Volts and Amps. You'd need to go to Oxy-propane or Oxy-Aetylene to get higher temperatures. It's much harder to screw thing up using propane, you work slower, and it's very hard to over cook the steel.

All the best,

Thanks a lot for all this advice, you've given me plenty to consider.

I'll go for that deal, ta. I'll PM you regarding payment etc.

Thanks again

David

Back