Help with Marin frame numbers please!

Re: Can someone help w/ my

landlover1":16vfg1da said:
serial #, I have a 1993 Marin the frame is I thick nickel plated like the team issue mtb but mine is a hybrid w/ 700c by 38 wheels
the serial # is MJ3DS0198 can anyone decifer these? Thank you very much!

Look in the Archive at the Marin 1993 catalogue and look for the 700c bike, there are not many.

Tousi":1308gcpx said:
So when I bought the bike, I was told it was a 1994 Bear Valley SE, turns out it is a 1996 according to the serial number?

F46GAB166

Probably, picture of the bike ?

Not far off being an later Orange Alu-O 1992.
Both made the same place, both very similar and both use the same replaceable drop out* ;)
The last of the 4 Alu-O batches using the back plate as well (the 3rd didn't use the back plate.)

Anyway, as for the Marin.
I cannot find my Marin Alu frame list :(
Might be worth giving sinnerman a shout.

But 1993, looking like that and in 1993 year it would be a Rocky Ridge . You can look in the Archive and compare the tube diameters to check.

EDIT to Add, does this narrow thigns down

1996-97 – Quake Monocoque
1998-99 – Bobcat Trail
1999 – Hawk Hill / SE
1999-00 – Palisades Trail
1993-00 – Nail Trail
1993-98 – Rocky Ridge
1993-98 – Indian Fire Trial
2000-01 – Quake 5.0/7.0/8.0/9.0
1995-97 – Nail FRS
1993-95 – Pine FRS
1993-96 – Team FRS
1993-96 – Titanium FRS
1997 – Quake 5.0/9.0
1997-98 , 2001 – Team DH
1999-02 – Wildcat Trail
1998-00 – B-17
2001 – Shoreline Trail
2000-02 – Alpine Trail
1999-03 – Rock Springs
2000-03 – Wolf Ridge
2000-03 – Attack Trail
1999-02 – East Peak
1998-02 – Rift Zone

Use the same dropout apparently

Here's one for the Marin gurus.....I'm looking at buying a Bear Valley SE and julesg007 has offered one up which looks like a perfect candidate......

The serial number is M73HA0275 - which doesn't really fit with the list shown earlier on in this thread. Using that theory it would be a 1993 Palisades trail...? M=Marvel 7=Palisades 3=1993

I did find an older thread which matches that style of serial number to a Bear Valley SE frame.........

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=m73ha%2A

....and it definitely looks like a '93 BVSE to me!! :)

This is more an "out of interest" type of post rather than trying to prove if it is a BV or not, so thoughts anyone - what was going on with Marin's frame numbering system in '93........?

Attachments

• Marin BV SE P2.JPG
    Marin BV SE P2.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,429
Marin serial numbers

I still have the same bike 93 Bear valley se, owned from new with serial number M73HA0164 the code's not allways right.

For some reason in the back of my head I recall reading about some manufacturers who use the same frame over several models with the only changes being the kit fitted and the paint.

So the frame code say for example might be stamped as a eldridge but be painted and kitted as a bvse?

I'm still confused

I just purchased a Marin bike from a friend/original purchaser, the bike decal say's Team Marin (Model?). The serial #F14AA0050 with additional stamping on the bottom bracket BT-0261. From what I have read on this forum I take this to be:
manufactured at the Fairly factory
a team issue bike
built in Jan 1994
frame size 14"?
#50 in the series run

I am sure this is not a 14, maybe a 19 as the original owner is 6'-4"
He told me he paid about $1500 for the bike new. I guess I am suprised that a "Team Issue" bike (presumed to be a factory race bike?) would be sold in Mid-Michigan but I guess that is possible. Every component on the bike is Deore XT with the exception of the rims, mavic 230 TIB with butted spokes, forks SR Duotrack 9001, headset Ritchie Logic. Every other part on the bike is stamped or stenciled Marin Lite. Tires even say Marin Lite and a decal on the downtube says Designed and Race Proven Marin Co. and another that says Tange Ultimate Superlite MTB.

I know nothing about Marin bikes, but this bike is flawless, not even a scratch. The worst thing on it is the Team Marin decal is bubbling up a bit but intact. Owner said he rode it only a few times. I am starting to think this is a very rare bike. It is painted silver/champagne sort of color.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Just talked to a bike nut friend and confirmed it is really a Marin Team and had the forks changed at the dealer (originally rigid) because the steering stem has a pully for cable. If it was a team issue it would have had XTR components and likely not the whole group. Looks to me that model intentity via serial numbers is like trying to decode Italian motorcycle serial #.

Some do share the same frame in Marins range. 'Team' for example are the same frame, just the bits hanging of it change.
'Team' frames can be identified more often by a cable stop at an angle for the gears on the headtube.

'Team' being a marketing term of course.

Bear Valleys iirc are the same and the numbers in the range are relative to that years range.

Team Issue would as you say be XTR clad in 1994 and the Team Marin would be XT clad.
both Marin Lite, 230's etc on them.

Team Marin according to bikepedia had an MRSP of $1800, I doubt few would have actually bought at that price though.

Looking for help.... And this thread has been helpful but I am not sure if the info provided hasnt added a bit of confusion.

8f0dadfd.jpg

07d8bbf1.jpg

1369215b.jpg

1c3d9def.jpg

88c1ad7a.jpg

Serial #F401FSC096 with 2140C also stamped on BB housing near serial number

If I understand some of the coding detail I have read

F= Fairly
4= Eldridge Grade
01= 2001
F = February
S= second week
C=17 inch
096 = 96 in production run

2140C = no idea???
If anyone can confirm that I would appreciate it... My confusion comes from
three sources. 1, the Bikepedia pictures of Eldrige Grade bike in 2001 look nothing like this frame. 2, I saw a similar style frame listed on eBay as "custom built Marin race" 3, I was in my local bike shop having it measured (BB, seat post and derailleur clamp size, seat post tube size) when a older gentlemen (late 50's early 60's) also noted that it looked like a custom built race frame. Having been a racer in the past he said he wanted one a
When they were new but couldn't afford the added cost at the time. When I told hi I was going to build a urban assault/light trail fast attacker he pled with me to just mount frame on wall and cherish it.

The frame does have two "race proven" and a "Marin COMP/ custom butted tubing" decals.

So I am confused a bit... And consumed with curiosity on the origins of this light weight beauty.

J
New guy

Back