Burrington Combe / Mendips Meet

Rowberrow wood is forestry land so they log areas of it most years. It's just that this year I think with all the rain that the damage to some of the trails (around where I marked on the photo) is pretty bad. In places they have reparied bits with new hardcore which right now is pretty loose and draggy. Quite a few areas seem alot rockier than usual too. Probably as a result of all the rain. The old RS Judys coped okay though :LOL:

All in then from an XC point of view it's still good riding just not quite as good as before and it looks a bit of a mess in some parts where it had previosuly been quite picturesque.

So when are we riding?

I had a couple of hours up there on a very dry / sunny day in Feb. I ended up cycling down the track to the car park off the A38, which is where we used to set out from. I could not believe how rocky it has become, and I really did not recognise where I was until I was quite a way down the path.

I must get up there soon and introduce my son to the place. The last time he rode up there he was seven or eight, and now he's twenty four :shock:

Weather has cheared up. We should maybe make an effort some time soon!!!

Oh and just for the record I rode up Burrington Combe on the road this morning on my 2.62:1 geared fixie :p , right to the top, 2.5 miles, and then back down again which was hard work too.

Anybody?

Dry dusty trails!!! There was still a bit of mud on tuesday but there were dry lines past it and its been baking hot ever since!!!

OOOhhh yummy, all in your boots and up your legs.

I remember riding up and then back down from the car park just off the A38 when it was like that. By the time we got back to the car park, after a day up there, it was under six inches of water, which I had to stand in to put the bike on the car rack. Not nice.

I bet the Mendips are lush right now, if you like riding through rivers of grit that is!!!

I drove down the road on Wednesday afternoon and it was like driving down a river bed. Wednesday morning Cheddar Gorge was closed, as it was a river.

Back