Kona's page

Anthony":1tsyuk1v said:
main.php

This is a story about a 1994 Explosif

Excellent stuff! Nice to read about your ride than you kindly commenting on ours ;)

Is there any difference frame wise from the 96 to 97? You mention your experiences between the 94 and 96 and wondered if you knew that's all.

steve86":30x2nzx3 said:
my 1992 cindercone i really wanted a rigid mtb and managed to swap this for an old raleigh olympus i had, deal!

006-2.jpg

That's crazy.....I have the EXACT bike but its fitted with Shimano LX groupo!

That's crazy.....I have the EXACT bike but its fitted with Shimano LX groupo!

how the other half live ay lol. nice one though dude dont suppose ypurs has amberwalls does it? im trying to get some for this..

al-onestare":2ero3j7s said:
Anthony":2ero3j7s said:
main.php

This is a story about a 1994 Explosif
Excellent stuff! Nice to read about your ride than you kindly commenting on ours ;)
Is there any difference frame wise from the 96 to 97? You mention your experiences between the 94 and 96 and wondered if you knew that's all.
Thanks Al. The 97 Explosif had markedly different stays from the 96, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it rides quite differently as a result. The 97 stays are Columbus Max and are a lot fatter than the 96 ones, which themselves were slimmer than 95. Basically my take on the 96 design is that it balances the stiff front triangle with a compliant rear end to produce a very sophisticated feeling ride, still fast up hills as the chainstays are big enough, but the very slender seatstays contributing to a very smooth ride. I haven’t ridden a 97 Explosif, but I assume it must be a stiffer and harder riding frame, perhaps faster as far as racing is concerned, but maybe slightly less well suited to a 50 mile ride.

My guess is that with steel getting swamped by aluminium at that time, both on the race track and in the marketplace, they were looking to make the Explosif ride a bit more like a Kula. They also developed the King Kahuna at the same time, as a stiffer variant of the Hei Hei - apparently partly in response to calls from the race team - so maybe that was the thinking with their top-end frames.

96 Hot STARS AND BARS

Hey guys, new to the forum. This is my baby. LMK what you guys think! Thanks!

Edit: sorry, forgot to mention the frame is a 96' kona 853 hot "stars and bars".

konahot.jpg

overthebars.jpg

frontend.jpg

rderailer.jpg

bendthekneetochrisking.jpg

Re: 96 Hot STARS AND BARS

MTB Matt":lfvl2ufa said:

Edit: sorry, forgot to mention the frame is a 96' kona 853 hot "stars and bars".

konahot.jpg

overthebars.jpg

frontend.jpg

rderailer.jpg

I love the bike, but I think you could probably swap out the tires for some red ones and the fork needs to go. Probably a red Judy XC or something red or blue. IMHO. But otherwise one of my favourite models!

Chickenball":hcrn5fx6 said:
I love the bike, but I think you could probably swap out the tires for some red ones and the fork needs to go. Probably a red Judy XC or something red or blue. IMHO. But otherwise one of my favourite models!

I was looking into the Panaracer fire xc tires but I am just not sold even after reading the reviews. The michelin Hot S doesn't work great for the terrain I ride although I love the all red. Another cosmetic tire I was thinking about grabbing was the Geax Saguaro all white shown below. My brother is going to give me some Geax Barro's to hold me over since these michelins have dry rot.

The fork was supposed to be replaced with a white Fox 80mm air shock but guys that I worked with were having trouble with the seals back when I built this bike (2001).

Geax-Saguaro-White-Edition-26x20.jpg

MTB Matt":cymfdt5a said:

konahot.jpg

overthebars.jpg

frontend.jpg

rderailer.jpg

:cool: :cool: Now that is beautiful...a very nice steed you have my friend ;)

Ernie ;)

Back