1991 GT Karakoram Elite Commuter/All Purpose

I can't offer much advice on the cranks but the pics really aren't doing that paint job justice it looks fantastic in the flesh.

Thanks Chris, I'll have to try to borrow a better camera to take pictures when it's finished, though it's quite hard to capture the colour as it shifts a lot in different lights.

I got super-lucky with the FRM cranks and I'm starting to think they are the way to go. They look good with the black TA chain ring I bought for the Alfine cranks, though I might get a guard too, like this:

mb_0_1572_l__ms1.jpg

I know that's a 135mm, but they also come in 130mm.

Finished

Well, as of tonight it's finally finished. Here are some photos that still don't do the paint job justice - it's really hard to catch the colour of it:

Karakoram+Elite+1.JPG

Karakoram+Elite+2.JPG

Karakoram+Elite+3.JPG

Karakoram+Elite+4.JPG

Karakoram+Elite+5.JPG

Karakoram+Elite+6.JPG

Karakoram+Elite+7.JPG

Karakoram+Elite+8.JPG

I know it's hardly a traditional build, but it's been built to match my requirements as much as my taste.

Any feedback, good or bad, gratefully received.

nice build mate just building one of my own, can you tell me what the seatpost size should be ? cheers buddy :)

astar92:3uvu71ub said:
nice build mate just building one of my own, can you tell me what the seatpost size should be ? cheers buddy :)

My seat post is the original and it's 26.4mm. I don't know whether they varied from year to year, but I could check my '92 Karakoram to see if it's the same. My '93 Richter 8.0 is 26.6mm, but then it's different tubing (Tange Prestige) [edit 20/12/22 - 1993 Richter 8.0 is 27.0 and Corrado 26.6]

Last edited:
Looking great Will :cool:

My 1990/91 & 92 Karakorams all take 26.4 seatposts despite changing to True Temper tubing in 92.

Thanks Chris. I've ridden it in to work today and it's really smooth, plus the amount of feedback and handling is feeling really good.

It's the Shimano Alfine chain tensioner Chase. It's really easy to use and adjust - actually much better than sprung ones I've used - BUT it sits on the rear axle with the specific drop-out spacer, rather than being attached to the derailleur hanger, so it wouldn't be easy to use on a single speed without an Alfine spindle.

Latest posts

Back