TI Raleigh 531

I don't think it's coincidence :)

I have been looking for some brand new rims to run on my 70's Falcon and the Mavic open Sport seems to be the only choice for rims which dont look "modern".

I looked at American Classic wheels but could't get the rims only, Ambrosio and the usual crowd also didn't do anything which might fit in with a 70's-80's build.

did you get the LBSupply the rims ?

Cheers

Shaun

A couple more pictures now that it looks a bit more like a bike.
I bought a replacement pair of wheels rather than having the original hubs rebuilt.
I've got tyres and tubes but no rim tape so off to the shops a bit later.
Also got some yellow Benotto bar tape but no hoods for the brake levers.
At the moment the budget won't stretch to Campagnolo replacements but I read that Dia Compe 204 hoods will work with Nuovo Record brake levers, has anyone tried? do they fit well?

Attachments

• TI_022.jpg
    TI_022.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,293
  • TI_021.jpg
    TI_021.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,293
Can't you get some fake campag hoods at about £15 ? Old Ned got some IIRC, just a bit pale in colour though.

Nice :D

Shaun

Midlife":2uztmft1 said:
Can't you get some fake campag hoods at about £15 ? Old Ned got some IIRC, just a bit pale in colour though.

Shaun

£25 from Hilary Stone. Slightly translucent but feel soft and comfortable although I was only "feeling them up" not riding the bike. Miles better than the £10 generic ones I got off eBay which are hard as nails. I'm going to get some from HS even though my brake levers are Suntour not Campag.

Mark.

bedraggled":3onmnd63 said:
The serial number is on the bottom bracket.
An Ilkeston built version will start with SB followed by a number, the numbering was sequential from 1 up to about 8300.
If you find one with what seems like two random letters followed by 3 numbers that is a frame built for a sponsored rider eg JR 178 would be Jan Raas first bike for the 1978 season.
If it starts with a W the frame was built in Worksop, borrowed details below from elsewhere on site.

I have to say, and I've said it so many times on RetroBike, I have real problems with this document.

It does not correlate to any of my Raleighs, SBDU frames or LU bikes, I have had them all from new (SBDU ordered in person by me at Ilkeston).

Good luck with the build all the same.

Roadking.

daccordimark":1uxz85ck said:
Midlife":1uxz85ck said:

Shaun

£25 from Hilary Stone. Slightly translucent but feel soft and comfortable although I was only "feeling them up" not riding the bike. Miles better than the £10 generic ones I got off eBay which are hard as nails. I'm going to get some from HS even though my brake levers are Suntour not Campag.

Mark.

Thanks, I'll have a look on his website.
At the moment my reluctance to buy some expensive hoods is that I can't make my mind up which colour to go for.

Looks good

That looks brilliant so far :D
Looking forward to seeing it finished. probably not as much as yourself I suspect, you must be itching to get it on the road.
Keep the updates coming.

Jamie

The build stalled over the summer but yesterday I finally got it all built up so thought I would post a couple of pics.
Today I took it for a gentle ride around the estate, after making a couple of adjustments everything seemed to work ok - well nothing fell off :LOL:

Overall very pleased.

Attachments

• Nov1.jpg
    Nov1.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Nov2.jpg
    Nov2.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 1,009
Back