Help me identify mystery frame ?

Y O Y

Dirt Disciple
Please help me identify this Reynolds 531 DS road frame. It has these interesting cut outs to the rear of the seat tube, mudguard eyes, and rear carrier mounts.

Attachments

• Mystery bicycle frame 004.JPG
    Mystery bicycle frame 004.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 570
You could buy those fillets "off the shelf", I've got similar but with circular cutouts on the forks of my Falcon San-Remo.... doesn't really point to a specific builder.

Any other pics?

Shaun

Midlife":25s1bicm said:
You could buy those fillets "off the shelf", I've got similar but with circular cutouts on the forks of my Falcon San-Remo.... doesn't really point to a specific builder.

Any other pics?

Shaun

Yep, it's just an 'add-on' brazed to the tube below the seat lug. Never seen one fitted in this position before though, they're generally inside the fork blades up by the crown 'for extra strength'. The carrier mounts point to a touring frame.

I've seen them sticking up the seat tube lug from the bottom bracket as well as attached to the chainstay / bottom bracket.... plus the forks

"Pack of cards" was very trendy in the mid / late 70's so that might help a bit in dating the frame

Shaun

DS is for 'Designer Select' where a mix and match 531 tubeset is used. It was only allowed by Reynolds for a small number of individualistic builders (Tony Oliver for one). IF the transfer is genuine, then it suggests something a bit out of the ordinary.

Back