Saracen Kili Comp 853

firedfromthecircus

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all.
Time for me to start the thread for this one.

This is the first of two Kilis needing built, the other one being a 1989 fillet brazed Tange Prestige.

IMG_0271.jpg

With the MacRetro annual meet on the 3rd of June I would like to have a suitable retro mount available, and this is the choice. I only have a week and a bit left so it might be a bit tight as I am not the fastest of builders, but a deadline always adds a little impetus.
I have been collecting parts since I got the frame from Clockworkgazz back in December and I think I have most of what I need. The forks in the pics were a separate purchase but look to be a pretty decent match.

IMG_0278.jpg

And a gratuitous wishbone shot. :cool:

IMG_0274.jpg

Hope to have updates regularly as next Sunday approaches. ;)

very nice base that.. :cool:

That lilac 1990 (ish) special Ed doesn't look too bad either.. Is it the one that was on ebay a month or so ago..?

GT-Steve":2w5skzi0 said:
very nice base that.. :cool:

That lilac 1990 (ish) special Ed doesn't look too bad either.. Is it the one that was on ebay a month or so ago..?

Cheers. ;) Let's hope I can do it justice. :?

The special edition came from Gravy Monster. It doesn't look too bad from a distance but it really needs a refinish. Will get onto t once the '97 is done.

This is going to be a mostly XT M739 build. Period where possible.

IMGP0229.jpg

Cockpit together. Period X-Lite risers and Zoom stem. M740 shifters as I found a nice set and Avid levers as I still have not been able to get a pair of M739 levers at the right price in the right condition. ;) But I have just missed loads. :LOL:
Stem even has period MBUK sticker. :oops:

IMGP0231.jpg

Forks are '99 build Z3.5s. Apart from perished seals they seemed pretty decent. No marks on the stanchions at all. Until I took off the bridge. Horrible nasty rub mark and scratch hiding there. :( Stripped for new seals, oil and a wee polish. Will see how they do once built, but might be looking for a replacement already.

IMGP0211.jpg

And last pic for today is my only concession to weenieism. Titanium bottle cage bolts. :shock:

IMGP0217.jpg

The bike won't even have a cage as I don't like them but as I had robbed the steel ones on it to fit a rack to another bike they needed replaced. :cool:

jujupunk":3koyl0mz said:
Nice choice, shame about the forks but looking great already... becoming very jealous!

Cheers. :cool:

clockworkgazz":3koyl0mz said:
I have a set of xt brake shifter combos if you are still looking?

Thanks for the offer Gazz. I'll keep them in mind but pass just now. ;)

Back