Cook bros cobalt wheels - any good?

grogee

Retro Guru
I like the look of these Cook Bros cobalt wheels, but can't decide if they are worth the £££ they're asking.

Unless they are under patent then any old Chinese tom, dick or harry can copy them, and probably will.

Are we all going to be riding low spoke counts in the future or will the traditional multi-spoke wheel persist?

Attachments

• cobalt.jpg
    cobalt.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 342
Never owned a pir but did look into it at one point, the weight put me off but they do look good.

They went through a stage of having weak freehubs. Think more recent models have sorted this, with upgraded freehubs being offered under warranty (I think) for older models.

Money wise they are no better than similar or slightly lower priced wheels. If you want different looks they stand out from all the other wheels sets. ;)

I agree with the above post...

there were definite issues with the freehubs under high torque loads, cracking, crunching and slipping as you try to get uphill! Not good!!

How sorted the new ones are ive no idea, but it certainly stopped me from picking some up having seen them a couple of years ago

Hope they have sorted them though if you like them!

Back