Mongoose Ampifier

LQQK

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well the frame and forks turned up - and they are in excellent condition. The frame is the twin down tube version (I didn't know they existed!). The forks seem to work OK - but Judy's are a bit of a mystery to me, as I always used Marzocchi forks during the '90s. So what's the deal with Speed Springs, are they worth it?

I'll initially build it up with the parts from my old Pro Flex 555 (RIP), which is STX-RC, but have some other goodies I’ll add later from the spare parts box.

Does anyone know what the seat post size is? I measured with a ruler and looks like a 31.6mm.

Attachments

• Mongoose 4.jpg
    Mongoose 4.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 2,743
  • Mongoose 5.jpg
    Mongoose 5.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2,743
nice , told you the 555 would live on :LOL:

is that your fine looking hound in the background :cool:

Yeah, nice bike.

I remember very well reading a review in the German BIKE magazin. The Amplifier tested -a bike with twin downtube- was considered the best FS bike in the marketplace. It was in a time FS was not the norm for a high end bike. Bikes of small builders still were. Few years later things changed.

- Melvin

Always liked the AMP setup, simple yet effective.. Even Fat went there..

Look forward to seeing the developments LQQK! :D

Attachments

• fat_shock_a_billy.jpg
    fat_shock_a_billy.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,699
Very nice, but those forks on that frame are just wrong!
My mate raced DH on one of those BITD :shock:

What forks then?

stevet1":247sovy7 said:
Very nice, but those forks on that frame are just wrong!
My mate raced DH on one of those BITD :shock:

I've been looking into the Judy's, it seems to get the best out of them you should put in springs and the White Brothers hard body cartridge. I might as well buy a second hand set of SIDs for that money!

So what forks would best suit this frame? I was looking at a nice set of Amp forks on eBay - but at US$150 seems a bit steep, or is that the going rate?

I'll keep the Judy as is for the moment - I would like to win the tight arse BOTM. So far with postage it has cost me AU$61 :p

But as we all know 'the sickness' will take over. I'll be hunting for bargin XTR parts, Ti bars and matching seat post and stem.

Re: What forks then?

Looks good. The AMPs would suit but Judy stickered SIDs would ride better (assuming it's a rider).

LQQK":2eu6uj9a said:
But as we all know 'the sickness' will take over. I'll be hunting for bargin XTR parts, Ti bars and matching seat post and stem.

Possible Quote Of The Moth winner :LOL:

Rocky Mountains "Amplifier" = The edge

I am building up an old RM "The edge" (1993) , which is the Rocky Mouantin Fully with the AMP Rearsuspension. I hope I manage to get it ready this Summer. Frame was broken and ist fixed now. Still needs new paint an full assembly.

I always liked the first version of the Amplifier with the double down tube. I can't wait to ride my "Rocky Mamplifier" - with AMP fork of course.

Attachments

• Dsc01746-2.png
    Dsc01746-2.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 2,614
  • Dsc01746-2.png
    Dsc01746-2.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 2,614
Back