1996 Gary Fisher Montare restoration - Now complete

BG":2wtzj0oe said:
Beaut job. Well done. Am a real fan of Fishers - and Treks too but don't tell anyone! :D
Thanks a lot, i too like Fishers, is your Supercaliber in great condition?

Now added a Shockbone - although it has a canti hanger i just love the trick look of it and it looks really good with the carbon fibre matching the Judy gaiters and the Shock Bone wording matching the Judy yellow :cool:

IMG_0630.jpg
[/img]

IMG_0632.jpg

I was also out with the guy's from the East Midlands the other night and the bike felt very good, just like new in fact. The guy's also commented how the blue tint to the Mighty 900 matched the frame and looked great, i hadn't noticed that but now i have it does look but it was purely accidental and not by design.

I just had to do a few tweaks last night, brake blocks, seat, left STI. Gears still need finely tuning but i think i might have to visit the LBS for that :oops:

Kudos, request info on decals

Beautiful job. I have this exact same bicycle, have ridden it thousands of miles and had a 20 mile ride today. Like you I always thought this Montare was the epitome of both Gary Fisher's style and the utility of his bikes.
I've upgraded mine over the years - Montare SX Ti fork, Avid SD brakes and levers, XT crank and derailleurs, SD clipless pedals etc. Mine looks a lot like yours except for the fork (I would have prefered the Judy, except at the time the Manitou was on sale and it has been a very good fork). My chain rings and gear cassettes also have been replaced repeatedly due to wear.
Question - can you email me contact info about where you got your decals? My bike has been well maintained, always kept indoors and the finish is still pretty nice (worn in places, but not bubbled like yours was) however the decals are getting tattered. I would love to be able to replace the large "Gary Fisher" and "Montare" at least - if your shop still has the specs for them.
Thanks - and kudos again for a beautiful restoration!

Attachments

• NSC_1530crop.jpg
    NSC_1530crop.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,350
Hi Dennis

Glad you like the restoration, it is good to see another Montare as well as you don't see many about, if any about now days.

For decals you can contact Gil_M he is a member on these forums and he should now have the decals on file as he created mine from pictures and measurements i sent him.
All the best and i am glad you liked the restoration - i certainly enjoyed doing it :D

Lovely job!
I saw this;
BE79BBF9-35CC-4CC5-8665-1C5216F64401-751-00000167BA2CE4F0.jpg

Outside my lbs a few weeks ago, posted about it on here in the marketplace section but it was snapped up in less than 24 hours!
Turns out it was one of my colleagues who bought it! He came to me for help setting up the drivetrain as it was well abused, plenty of wear and tear.
I nearly suggested to him (we both work in the fabrication workshop) that we have a go at removing the big dents in the chainstays! :oops: Until I realised they were symmetrical!
I LOLed :roll:

bren":1l28o2qc said:
Lovely job!
I saw this;

Outside my lbs a few weeks ago, posted about it on here in the marketplace section but it was snapped up in less than 24 hours!
Turns out it was one of my colleagues who bought it! He came to me for help setting up the drivetrain as it was well abused, plenty of wear and tear.
I nearly suggested to him (we both work in the fabrication workshop) that we have a go at removing the big dents in the chainstays! :oops: Until I realised they were symmetrical!
I LOLed :roll:

:shock: Once all the 'extras' are removed then apart from the seat, stem, and brakes (at a quick glance) it is pretty much original.
The rear dents in the chainstay nearly caught me out as i hadnt noticed them before i stripped the frame ready for powder coating :oops: :LOL:

Changed the front forks for some Marzocchi Superfly Bombers which i really like. I think they also suit the bike far better than the Judy Sls as the black and chrome match the XT groupset :cool:

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

I use this bike probably a couple times a month when i go out mountain biking, but managed to give it a good run out (36 miles) this weekend, so pictures of it being used how it should :D :cool: This weekend (4/11/12) just gone.

IMG_88282.jpg

IMG_88271.jpg

I've been riding my Montaire since 96... until I got the last gary fisher superfly hardtail... made it my casual dirt/commuter

Back