possible scammer

poweredbypies":5h7vaetd said:
I know its not helping you any but I would only use the gift option to a point where It wouldnt hurt to lose the money any big purchase I would rather pay the fee's just for peace of mind.

yeah i know mate. in the grander scheme of things, its not a world changing sum of money. but if im not the only one, then this needs sorting.

Charlieboy28":2hdm9m5e said:
crossland":2hdm9m5e said:
unkleGsif":2hdm9m5e said:
You should have his email address from the Paypal transaction. Have you tried to contact him via that?

G

i have.
also did some research into the paypal account name as its a girls name.
this could all be speculation at the moment. he might have posted it later than he says. he might have used royal snail.

i would have a far better idea if the people in a position to help, would at least reply to messages.
i cannot see when a user was last active on the forum.
i cannot restore a post pre edit.

There is very little the mods can do i would say, they know as much as you. you can visit this site without logging in so last log in tells you nothing. i also dont see what restoring the post will do, you know what it is and how much you paid.

the mods are only gonna give you the lecture about paypal gift anyway and dealing with folks who dont have feedback threads.

might be time to chill a bit and cross fingers i reckon

;)

as the sale thread stands, there is no longer an item, a description, or a picture. its called evidence. i have several hobbies. and am a member of several forums. every other forum i use, has the ability to restore a post, pre edit, from cache. i doubt this forum is any different. but only certain individuals can do this.
PPG lectures aside, if stuff like this is actually happening, then the people charged with policing the forum should be up to there necks in it.

just my opinion of course.

Not sure the police could help as the payment was a gift to that user - it is called a gift for a reason.

I know it sounds harsh but really gift should never be used unless you personally know the sender or are collecting the item in which case cash is probably preferable anyway.

Hopefully the more we say Gift should not be used for trades the quicker it will sink in that it is a bad idea.

You can offer to pay the fees yourself and if the seller declines that it is more likely to be dodgy.

http://ppcalc.com/ lets you work out the actual fees in a variety of currencies.

The mods are probably sick of dealing with this sort of thing where gift is used as a payment type. They do have better things to do with their time.

The Ken":3exldk9r said:
Not sure the police could help as the payment was a gift to that user - it is called a gift for a reason.

I know it sounds harsh but really gift should never be used unless you personally know the sender or are collecting the item in which case cash is probably preferable anyway.

Hopefully the more we say Gift should not be used for trades the quicker it will sink in that it is a bad idea.

You can offer to pay the fees yourself and if the seller declines that it is more likely to be dodgy.

http://ppcalc.com/ lets you work out the actual fees in a variety of currencies.

The mods are probably sick of dealing with this sort of thing where gift is used as a payment type. They do have better things to do with their time.

Well put TK.

PM me any details you have and I'll progress it as best we can.

Its also worthwhile having a read of this

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17697

Bummer

Hopefully this will all turn out OK, I'm sure due to his previous posts its just a slow posting type situation.
As for being dissapionted with the mods :LOL: You have not followed the guidelines they asked to be followed such as no gift, getting personal details of seller, etc. I feel for you mate, I do but this one is down to you.
Hope it all works out, I'm sure it will.

Jamie

Just to clarify, the Moderators, Area Event Coordinators and Deputy Area Event Coordinators on Retrobike all offer their time and energy on a purely voluntary basis in an attempt to benefit the Retrobike community as a whole.

All we ask for in return is that everyone follows a few simple guidelines, posts stuff in the correct place, uses a bit of common sense and takes some personal responsibility when dealing with other forum members.
Please also respect the fact that we don't have time to watch every single thread and every single transaction.

To the OP: Please feel free to contact me via PM with any details and we shall see if we can offer any assistance.

Righty ho. You contacted my 18:10 Tuesday, unfortunately your PM didn't hit the top of the email / PM pile yesterday.

Can only really reiterate what Kaiser, drystonepaul and to an extent TheKen have said.

We will of course do what we can to help, but at the end of the day the most we can do against this user is exclude he / she from the forum. I'd suggest you do what you can to find who they are. Can try and bring the ad back from backup but due to our schedule it may not be possible. Please be patient on this.

zotty":3cdtaxui said:
when i had a similar problem i found the mods of little help..

Nice. See above.

Charlieboy28":fyd86qwr said:
perhaps a little bit of reassurance, googling the frame details does not come up with anything other than here , so he hasnt tried this scam if it is one elsewhere.

having sent a lot of frames and bikes, it can be an arse, getting a box, packing it, taking a day off work for a courier etc. one thing like bike shop having no boxes or them being shut before getting out of work can delay everything. courier doesnt arrive and your buggered a lot of the time.

although New he has posted on discussion thread also so doesnt appear to have come her simply for the scam and then gone.

seems he sold another frame on her also so it might be worth contacting the other buyer to see if he has info you dont.

ive searched through the posts regarding the other frame but couldnt find anything except the ad itself.
no thread.
i like to think that im just being paranoid and all this will work out, it just sets a seed of doubt when you know some messages are being read but not replied to. the fact that the item isnt here only compounds this.
i am well aware of how painfull it is to send bikes anywhere having just assisted a member here in collecting and shipping his. i wouldnt be the least bit bothered if the guy contacted me tonight and said it hadn't been shipped yet due to xyz. its not like im waiting for a new kidney. its just a bike frame. if i have been stung, then its an expensive lesson learned i guess. at least until i set the ball rolling.

John":wy5s9mnx said:
Righty ho. You contacted my 18:10 Tuesday, unfortunately your PM didn't hit the top of the email / PM pile yesterday.

Can only really reiterate what Kaiser, drystonepaul and to an extent TheKen have said.

We will of course do what we can to help, but at the end of the day the most we can do against this user is exclude he / she from the forum. I'd suggest you do what you can to find who they are. Can try and bring the ad back from backup but due to our schedule it may not be possible. Please be patient on this.

zotty":wy5s9mnx said:
when i had a similar problem i found the mods of little help..

Nice. See above.

ok thanks john.
i will try and excersise a little patience and see where it goes. i really do hope that this is all down to late shipping or slow carrier. but in the event its niether, i want to be on the ball.
it might be nieve to trust people, and i take full responsibility for my actions. but if this is a scam, and i take the hit, i would rather the buck stops here.

just one question though, why has the link to this thread in pre 98 chat been removed? surely the users of all forums are better armed against possible fraud if the possibility can be seen. i bet there are many users of pre 98 that never venture down here in the cellar, but are equally at risk of losing some hard earned.

Back