GT Team Avalanche 1990 update 28-6-12

Marcus W

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just got this off a fellow rber, looking to build back to original funds permitting. Only change I will make is the wheels. I have some M6CD Oxygen which I have had from new 89 / 90 ish a bit sentimental but from the same era at least.

Looking for XT parts to build now. Hope to use for road commuting.

Attachments

• P1000101 (Large).JPG
    P1000101 (Large).JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,438
  • P1000106 (Large).JPG
    P1000106 (Large).JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,439
  • P1000105 (Large).JPG
    P1000105 (Large).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,439
  • P1000104 (Large).JPG
    P1000104 (Large).JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,439
Very nice, They do ride really nice IMO, and I've just finished mine (1991 MY) completely today.. :cool: :cool:

Were these prestige tubing then, and not Concept like the next year's model?

gt

The stickers on the forks say GT Tange Prestige and the main tube says designed in the USA Made in Japan. I guess Tange but no idea about the prestige bit or anything else.

I am having real trouble finding the original spec for this bike as the 1990 GT catalogue on here is sparse in detail. Any idea where you can get the spec.

GM is your man for the finer details, but I'd guess that the spec was XT (m732, or even M730) which should be reasonably straightforward to source if you're going down the OE route like me?

It says that the Avalanche that year had XT hubs on RM17's, so the Team would more than likely have had RM20's on the same hubs. Post, bars, grips, saddle etc. would've probably been GT own branded stuff..

GT-Steve":3v7v6ano said:
GM is your man for the finer details, but I'd guess that the spec was XT (m732, or even M730) which should be reasonably straightforward to source if you're going down the OE route like me?

It says that the Avalanche that year had XT hubs on RM17's, so the Team would more than likely have had RM20's on the same hubs. Post, bars, grips, saddle etc. would've probably been GT own branded stuff..

Original wheels were Araya RM-17 Hard Anodized with XT hubs the Avalanche had DX hubs on RM-17's in 1990. Remember this rim well because my first GT was a 1990 Team and on the third ride I had the front wheel slide out on an off camber decent during a light rain and I taco'd the rim and had a long walk out.

The frame is in good hands and I'm waiting for the final build too! :)

Here's the spec sheet I promised:

DSCN5246.jpg

The tubing is Tange Prestige Concept & MTB, not sure which tube is what, but good stuff anyways. And the fork is made of Tange prestige, just like you said.

Cheers, Jan

Back