Yorkshire built 1980's Pavone Road Bike.

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Well guys here she is :D

Rode a few miles on her today a few things came loose as always ! she corners very sharp and is very responsive out of the saddle
braking is really smooth and sharp and the gear changing is silky smooth[after ten minutes of tinkering] i then found out you can either
set the gears to index or normal changing which is a new one on me no creaking yet and to be honest it feels like a brand new bike its that tight.

Also removed the Turbo saddle and replaced it with one of those gorgeous Rolls saddle. Thanks Tel' ;)

Bike purchased for a measly £100 so was well worth getting and restoring.

Spec' of the bike...

Frame/Forks : Reynolds 753r. Repainted in a Ferrari metallic red colour with new 753 decals and custom 'one off' frame decals.
Full Groupset : Shimano Dura Ace 7402 through-out. [8 speed block]
New Shimano DA cable-set through-out.
Pedals : LOOK delta 247.
Saddle : San Marco Rolls.
Rims : Mavic Sport.
Spokes : Stainless Steel double butted.
Tyres : Vredestein Ricorso hand made.
Handlebar stem : Cinelli XA.
Handlebars : Cinelli - Campione Del Mondo 66-40.
Handlebar tape : Vintage Benotto pearl White with chrome end caps.

Anyone who hasn't seen the re-build before here's the link...

viewtopic.php?t=194205

**This is what the bike looked like before i was committed to the restore **

**Now what she looks like**

Thanks for all the general interest of this un-known ultra rare Yorkshire road bike :!:

Ian. :) [/u]

Just keeps getting better

That bike just keeps getting better :D
I followed your build thread eagerly waiting for the next instalment as it all came together.
You should maybe stick a before picture in with this thread.
Its a beautiful bike, now for a full road test ;)

Jamie

That is stunning Ian. If it was up for BOTM I'd vote for it - as much as I love a bit of patina, a respray and tasteful decal design can do a lot for a bike, as your before and after phots show. :cool:

What sort of bottle cages are those? I've got two old ally Specialized ones but yours look spot-on for some of my bikes.

Jamiedyer":3j7jc6rl said:
You should maybe stick a before picture in with this thread.Jamie
Added a pic and a link of the re-build just in case anyone hasn't seen it ;)

Rich34":3j7jc6rl said:
What sort of bottle cages are those? I've got two old ally Specialized ones but yours look spot-on for some of my bikes.
The cages are actually Raleigh jobs ! No point spending ££'s on ally cages only cost me £5.70p, i got them from my local bike parts shop but he lists them on his website or ebay...

http://www.yframediscounts.com/raleigh- ... oy-silver/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Alloy ... 636wt_1139

I could enter it into RBOTM but i doubt i'll get anywhere

oldmuthariley":3j7jc6rl said:
A really stylish, quality build. :cool:
Thanks Mate. Glad its all over really and so is the wife :roll:

Cheers.
Ian.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Lovely Ian it really does look like you've added the Midas touch to bike. There's something special about reviving an old age bike giving it a second coming.

Is there scope to turn the rear caliper to reverse position? Just wonder if that's why the cable is routed that way, as you well know it was once a fashionable thing to do.

What does it weigh in at?

Nice!

Nice bike!
where do you get the tires? i carnt find the tan wall version that you have they look smart
how comfortable is that bar tape for longer rides?
very good looking bike at a bargain price too!

Re: Nice!

Tel":2x85m0fo said:
Is there scope to turn the rear caliper to reverse position? What does it weigh in at?
Just had a look at turning the brake around and spotted straight away that i would have to buy new brake blocks
and at £15 a pair i'll give it a miss Tel, Also the the rear section of the brake mounting fits inside the allen key recess
and may cause the bridge to split, so i would have to make new alloy mounting washers. I'll leave it as it is :(

The weight of the bike is 21.1 lbs ! I reckon if it had it original rims and only one bottle cage and minus the new braze ons it would have been a little lighter...lol !

milton01":2x85m0fo said:
where do you get the tires? i carnt find the tan wall version that you have they look smart
how comfortable is that bar tape for longer rides?

1 pair off ebay. 1 pair from Tel !
When these tyres were available in the tan-wall they were just a tenner each, you'll need to search old bike shops for them.
They are not a racing tyre but a training tyre as they are quite heavy but look ace, there is a racing version of the Ricorso ! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pair-VREDESTEIN ... 721wt_1270

I've used Benotto tape for many years and yes this stuff is not as cushionable as modern tape but used in conjunction with
old leather mitts you can feel the bars and when your out of the saddle the bars move with ease whilst securely holding the bars.

Thanks for the kind replies guys.

Ian.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back