Is this dangerous?

trickylad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Someone mentioned to me that the rotors on my epic are on back to front. There's no markings at all on them. What do you think?

91ea8b48.jpg

aac312b7.jpg

:roll:

Think they are supposed to run the other way round. Prolly to do with the forces then being pushed into the hub by the "spokes" rather than pulling at it.

A while back ashima were sending their rotors out with the markings on the 'wrong' side, they said it was fine to run them that way. I.e the way you have yours.

The picture isnt working now but you can see it on google images by typing 'ashima rotor fail', you cant miss it.
The were pretty prompt to change the way they should be mounted.

Id say yours are the wrong way, cant see it varying much between manufacturer.

The problem would be that the braking force will be trying to pull the contact patch away from one of the 'arms'.

When mounted the correct way the force will dissipate down the arm.

^^^^ wot he said about the Ashima rotors.

it is kinda counter intuitive as they way you have fitrted them, the spokes are in tension so should be stronger than if in compression...

you rotors look far more chunky than the Ashima (they were weight weenie parts) so you'll be ok .... but it is not a big effort to fit them other way round (I cannot think of seeing an asymmetrical rotor that has spokes facing the way you have)

They're mounted the wrong way indeed.

The rotor can collapse, locking the front wheel and sending you over the handlebar with possible fatal consequences. So no need to worry.

They have no markings on. The Asia rotor fail I know of but let's be honest, my rotors are more like dustbin lids in comparison. I didn't fit them, they've been like it since I bought the bike. I might pop one off and see if there's markings on the other side as this side is blank.

Are they a Hope rotor design. Could always ask them...

Yeah they are hope mini rotors i think. Hope will know.
Dont think there will be any markings on the other side.

Be interested to see what they say.

I know they have more material which may be the key thing but the forces still act the same way.

I like the colours.

The guy with the problesm with the qr, i wonder if he has chekeced the spacing/cones on his hub as i had trouble with that recently but run 6 pairs of hope ones fine.

They are hope mini's.

Latest posts

Back