chopping a steerer

bit dodgy if its been butted , the tube would be thinner lower down , and with the thread removing more metal .......... :shock:

its a manitou 4 if that makes a difference? unless anyone has a spare unthreaded 1 1/8" one...

suppose you could use it with a ahead stem , and one of those headlock bolts rather than a starnut which might damage the thinner walls

just bought this one , 1 1/4 for a build i am doing , cant stand those star nuts , f*****g `orrible things

You'll be fine to rethread that steerer, a majority of older steerers aren't butted, almost none of those sus steerers were at all.

The threads appear to be finer at the bottom because they haven't gone all the way through the thread cutting tool unlike the ones further up, not because of butting. Just find a good LBS and they should still have the tools to do it (or go to a frame shop)

I agree with Pete, you'll be fine to cut and extend the threads. Just take your time with the die, use lots of cutting oil, and make sure you back relieve the new threads to break the chip every two rotations or so.

As an aside, in my experience in repairing and building all types of forks, butted steerers are thicker at the crown and thinner at the superior end of the tubing.

cheers,

rody

Back