1996 Judy XC rebuild - FINISHED (page 7) 30/05/12

Cartridge out...

Just need to know which oil to refill it with and then I can get that ordered.

4f366583.jpg

Cheers fella.

Useful read, that... :cool: :cool:

Oil has been ordered, and I'm confident I know how to put it all (the cartridge) back together now... :cool:

and so today the fork oil arrived, as did the decals from the states.

:cool:

6a9f8dc1.jpg

Only a few bits left to wait for now, and the rebuild can commence.. :D

Steve,
Any Joy with your damper cartridge having the allen bolt adjustment inside? It's a 2mm Allen key & doesn't make contact until about 20mm into the fork leg. Turns 4x Clicks in either direction for least/most damping action. I did loosen it more and felt like it could actually undo & drop out. Perhaps this is the case???
Bolts sent to you today... ;)

Nope, there's definitely no adjuster rod in it, it's been removed at some point.

I'm thinking I can just bolt the rod into the outer leg in a conventional manner and have them as non-adjustable. Looking up in the cartridge damper rod, I can't even begin to see (or workout) what it might do or how it might work..

Might just go without it..

...and thanks. ;) :D

The damper doesn't look right, I would say someone's half converted it to a dummy leg but for some reason left the casing there and seals.

Reason I say is the large rubber triangley bit bit it the top out bumper and should not be in the cart.
Given you say there is no adjuster in there then it would make sense it was not used as the oil would not stay in it.
also all the bits it moves are not there (the mylar, rubber , spring, metal rods)
In fact the round disc in the middle reminds me of the inside (from memory, will search later) of a DownHill compression cartridge

Yep, mine's almost the same as the one on the left of the top pic, but like you say, there's loads of bits missing. The rod has the chamfered ends (on the last 5-10mm), tho, whereas the dummy leg rod is just rounded.

The big metal spacer is definitely not there, and neither is the spring... :cry:

Bugger..

Back