Backpacks.

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not quite sure what i need as there seems so much about.

Are deuter any good? Or what camlbak?

Normally on the trails. Carry lunch, drink, some tools odd spares. Nothing massively big. Guess i would on the odd occasion need some space to carry an extra layer.

Not sure what that constitutes?

Any opinions?

i use a camalback mule, it is the smallest bag of largest water capacity if that makes sense, which is 3 litres, i don't always fill up though depending on the ride, i find it is big enough to get a few trail tools in aswel as a tube, jacket, phone, wallet, keys etc and also a reasonable sized camera in aswel. has loads of bits of mesh and elasticated string to help hold things in place aswel.

i also don't find it bothers me either.

i haven't used the deuter stuff but i haven't heard any bad things about them.

Thats good to hear as have always liked the mules.
Not sure on the size of them though, i mean how do you justify the size you need?

I was looking at the charge lr today as we have one in work and its very nice. Much more space than i expected it to have.
Turns out its an xc pack.

I snagged a cheap & brand new Camelbak Consigliere Off eBay last week

It'll hold a layer, tools, pads, camera & strap a full face on the back too

I'm very impressed with the build quality, but full retail ain't cheap!! :shock:

G

cyfa2809":1ccdd5l0 said:
Not sure on the size of them though, i mean how do you justify the size you need?

i would say how long is your normal ride, i'd suggest you'd want a litre per hour ideally water wise, so pic your bladder size then try a few on and try stuffing some stuff in there aswel, don't be afraid to take your own stuff with you and see how well it all fits, i tend to stuff tools etc down the bottom and have the jacket on top as i'd rather have the jacket to hand than the tools, also i figure the weight is better placed lower.

£40 for the consigliere? Nice that it holds a helmet. I may need one to hold knee pads but dont really mind wearing my helmet so cant see any point in having that (but then its not full face and normally not dh).

I may actually try some on at work. I think we have the mule, the charge, the rogue and a couple others.

Not sure what price point im on either.
I like the idea of the 'wings' on the charge as in a bit that wraps around you but nto sure how necessary it would be to keep it stable and un moving on my back?

No idea on normal ride but i do know that i dont drink much. Normally i will drink 1.5l or 2l or so in say 6 or 7 hours. That includes breaks and walking up if its dh. Or 30 miles for non dh rides mostly less though. And thats if i remember to drink that much!

Got an evoc cc16l and it is a great pack. Can get a 3l bladder in it though I wouldn't normally go past 2l to be honest. Plenty of pockets, carries a shock pump and a mini pump, tools, camera etc and my lock goes in it alright if pootling to the shops.

Good reviews and it comes in purple so suits me fine.

Find the one you want ( mates' opinions and Camelbak website ), go on eBay and get an old one for as little as a third of the price, add Miltons sterilising overnight for piece of mind and job's a good 'un.

I have Gelert hydration back pack, about £ 20 from Millets and has everything I need - it has bungee for holding helmet too. Used it many times and nothing's broke so do not see the point of paying double for a big brand like camelbak

similar to this

23735_large.jpg

I just got one in Go Outdoors, it's an Osprey. Just shaded it over the CB Mule for me... works really well - finally even I have converted to a hydration pack!

Back