Raleigh USA Chill

Racin'snake

Gold Trader
Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
I got this frameset from Major22 a few weeks ago for my brother as he wanted new bike. Just about done hanging the parts on it. I always liked the look of the colours they put on the main tubes. Anyone know what year this is from....I'm guessing around 91 or 92? It is not exactly superlight as the frame is quite clearly over-built....but very nice!

Attachments

• rsz_photo0844.jpg
    rsz_photo0844.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,159
  • rsz_photo0842.jpg
    rsz_photo0842.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 1,159
  • rsz_photo0841.jpg
    rsz_photo0841.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 1,159
  • rsz_photo0840.jpg
    rsz_photo0840.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1,159
Gotta say it's a sharp bike! But my question. Is why they would put Dia Compe levers on pretty much full XT bike?! Or is that done after?!

The SS5's where lighter than almost anything else back in the day...

Better feel to them too.

I did the same when I replaced the STI combo with thumbies on my Raleigh USA, though I opted for SS7 levers instead. I think that was a very common replacement for STI shifter combos.

Cheers Dan

Chickenball":1xg17r0z said:
Gotta say it's a sharp bike! But my question. Is why they would put Dia Compe levers on pretty much full XT bike?! Or is that done after?!

Well as huehue says they are lighter and have a much better feel than any shimano lever....in my opinion anyway, so much so I've bought another two pairs!

Racin'snake":1346t5mg said:
Anyone know what year this is from....I'm guessing around 91 or 92? It is not exactly superlight as the frame is quite clearly over-built....but very nice!
The 1991 brochure on here shows it in blue. Here's a 91: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=886857

Looks closer to this 92 even though the decals are a different colour: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2...m+USA/RaleighChill1992DXkomplDez2008.JPG.html

The bottle cage clashes a bit but looks very trick :)

Back