MT Shasta Tempest

saulus

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Here's my partners ride..rather well loved! :oops: I've had this Shasta since 2003 and kept it going/it's kept going!

Few components have been changed on it since I have had it except the usual maintenance and the odd 'creative technical modification' such as the wooden stem cap! - a temporary fix around 8 years ago but it works so why move it? But I wonder whats under there now :LOL: I chucked some Onza barends on it and Mavic wheels/slicks and that's it I think..

Paint job was a fluoro Orange but with UV exposure its gone to a rather a Kleinesque linear fade Orange to Pink
Its a bit cluttered with a pannier, mudguard and chain guard- I reluctantly fitted this as Laura is fed up of her flares getting chewed in the chain :cool:..yes I know..
Its the family workhorse. We use it to get the shopping done. It takes Laura to work everyday and she tows our 23 month old son & various kit around in his trailer through the Forest of Dean trails while I'm leaping about freely on rougher stuff

We love this bike and are toying with getting a new original paint job / decals. How much would they cost/Who do Iask on here?

http://photobucket.com/mtshastatempest

Hi

Like most things in retro land it depends on how much you want to spend. A well known and exspensive paint job from argos of bristol is an option.

Or a local powder coaters will strip it and re powder coat it between 40-80 depending on who they are but try and get one that has done bikes before so they know what bits to mask off.

Or another option is to buy some fluro and try it yourself after stripping it ?

as to decals gil_m gets a lot of work and good reviews.

I didn't realise there were any of these in the country (is that a Carratti sticker I see, in which case it was UK supplied).

Mmm depends on how much you love the bike.

Even rattle can and new decals you'd be looking at £50 + and then you'd have bike parts on top. You could easily spend over a hundred quid on something which is probably worth £30 on a really good day. If you want something pretty to ride better off looking for something much better and in good nick on ebay. You can get some pretty tidy stuff on for £50 ish.

Having said that if it's your baby, go for it. I have some low end GTs which economically aren't worth tarting up but I just want to.

MADJEZ":1swvwgu3 said:
I didn't realise there were any of these in the country (is that a Carratti sticker I see, in which case it was UK supplied).

Mmm depends on how much you love the bike.

Even rattle can and new decals you'd be looking at £50 + and then you'd have bike parts on top. You could easily spend over a hundred quid on something which is probably worth £30 on a really good day. If you want something pretty to ride better off looking for something much better and in good nick on ebay. You can get some pretty tidy stuff on for £50 ish.

Having said that if it's your baby, go for it. I have some low end GTs which economically aren't worth tarting up but I just want to.

Hi MADJEZ & Sylus,

Yes, it would be for the love not the financial sense.. I've heard of a local powdercoater who could do a f&f's for around £30. So your figures- based on your experience- are good to hear. I have at least one other f&f's that I want done, so it makes sense to do it as well..I can strip it/rebuild it and incur the replacements such as bb's/headset as I go. It's a bit of a nail mind you..pitted surface on most tubes-looks like a nasty case of chicken pox :LOL: ..hmmm

Well spotted, that is a Caratti sticker, says Bristol on it too. Interesting point you make..the only one I have heard of is the Alu version. If it is a rarety I will DEFINITELY approach this as a rebuild to be done in keeping with how it was in the catalogue..any pointers?

Cheers

So here we are..I find myself enlightened & tempted..might bid on that. It'd be for the girlfriend of course :cool: Damn this place..

Although I'm still wondering.. These ol' steel non triple triangle Shasta Tempest aren't exactly popping out the woodwork.

saulus":3j2e444l said:
..might bid on that. It'd be for the girlfriend of course :cool: Damn this place..

Welcome to the slippery slope ! I started out here checking if the tatty bike I'd bought was a Zaskar, I now have about 10 bikes in various states of repair :LOL:

Don't think I've seen a MT Shasta catalogue. Best place to find pix is probably ebay.com as most I've seen are over there.

Caratti Sport were the UK importer for GT (based in Bristol) up until the bankruptcy. Most UK GTs (and apparently MT Shastas) would have come through them.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
MADJEZ":1jonztp3 said:
saulus":1jonztp3 said:
..might bid on that. It'd be for the girlfriend of course :cool: Damn this place..

Welcome to the slippery slope ! I started out here checking if the tatty bike I'd bought was a Zaskar, I now have about 10 bikes in various states of repair :LOL:

Don't think I've seen a MT Shasta catalogue. Best place to find pix is probably ebay.com as most I've seen are over there.

Caratti Sport were the UK importer for GT (based in Bristol) up until the bankruptcy. Most UK GTs (and apparently MT Shastas) would have come through them.

Useful info. Cheers. Gonna start digging around a bit harder on the web then. It's funny though, one of the main reasons I joined RB is because whenever I did a Google of some oldMtb related topic, Rb forum threads always appear and cover it :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
player":3v2bz21r said:

Ok so I got it :oops: :LOL: ..for the love! I have two of the danged things :? ..its a period correct build mission!

Suggestions for easily acquired early 90's mid range or above shimano underlevers would be appreciated..will start a new thread if need be in 'items wanted' for this issue- Sorry/ Ta

Back