1995 Kilauea - Rusty Rat

unkleGsif":qsns0u77 said:
I have a new Favourite Bike on RetroBike...... :cool:
Love this

What you need to do now, is sling it to the roof of this and use it as the show ride
[/img]

G

Now thats is very :cool: :cool: exactly the type of look I was inspired by for this one

have you got any coating or layer over the oxidisation ?

magas":2i3ircug said:
:cool: love it - is the surface rust done just by the british humidity or did you water the frame to achieve that look ?

saddle fits nicely into the colour concept :)

Thanks, that really means something from somone who owns my favorote Kona ever ;)

I added a light sponge of water to the frame in its bare finish which instantly turned it golden before my eyes and then added a splash here and there to get the varaition. Where my hands had grease on the frame is still rust free which adds to the randomness :LOL:

Gravy Monster":15uhxqix said:
have you got any coating or layer over the oxidisation ?

Not mine, random google search
Mine is covered in lovely paint, but I totally dig it all the same

G

Its escaped :shock:

Went for 15 miles on it tonight and Wow ! It rides really well, not so sure on the tyres maybe suited to a garage queen than a racing rat :roll:

Enjoy

a1456b78.jpg

c3ea1078.jpg

b83dda4d.jpg

6eb252af.jpg

9e01ee6d.jpg

2ed78e67.jpg

the more I admire it, the more I want also one :shock: :) maybe one day I find a Kona frame with extremely lousy paint and give it that rat look ;)

Funnily enough I did exactly this same thing last year with an old fork that's now on my original Lava Dome frame; not sure if I'd have the b*lls to do a complete frame but this has to be one of the best looking bikes on the whole site! :cool:

Rode the Rat on its 1st official outing this weekend national RB meet in Surrey, it rode like a dream and seemed to get a very good reception :cool: It's well and truly ready for Mayhem, will have to work on the rider :LOL:

HERE it is in action and a you tube link from my gopro :cool:

Cheers

GM :cool:

The more I look at this bike, the more I wonder about the option to recreate the looks of it without actual rust.

Flat brown paint (several shades), a few toothbrushes and a very fine sieve should be enough. Just put paint on the toothbrush and rub it against the sieve to splatter the paint onto the frame. That should look just like the real thing.

Guess I'll need to give it a go sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back