Show us your Proflex........

Here is my addition to the thread :) Purchased from Ringo this Silver 856 was the basis for my first Full Susser Retrobike.

So far the build is going well, little slow at moment but getting there :D

Anyway will update post as it progresses :D

So far it will have STX RC Groupset, and Magura HS33 Brakes, Proflex Seat Post DMR Saddle, Bontrager Bars, ONZA grips, Duro Raider Redwall Tyres on Mavic Rims and Hope Hubs.

Attachments

• DSCF3403.JPG
    DSCF3403.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1,718
  • ProflexMagura.JPG
    ProflexMagura.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,718
  • ProflexMagura2.JPG
    ProflexMagura2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,718
02gf74":gl9oz0dg said:
BTW, I will post a photo of my XP8 with disc brake and air shock conversion at some point so don't go away ......

how come noone reminded me?

here it is

Attachments

• DSC07861.JPG
    DSC07861.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,681
I have a 957 which is 99% complete, just the gears to sort out (1x9). Did try single speed, which i couldnt do due to chain growth. Had a chain tensioner on, if i ran to 3 links too much it skipped when pushed hard and take those out and the suspension wouldnt work fully. So back to 1x9. I have marzocchi mx pros at the moment on there, but rebuiding a pair of noleen crosslink elt's with a rockshox coupe coil shock (noleen nr2 was shot) and stripped the paint back to bare aluminium. I am also interested in the cone adapter for the rear shock, the nr2 is ok at the moment, but would like to put a coil or air shock in

Blue 856

Had this 856 given to me last week. It is my one and only full suspension bike, with no suspension. Anyone still making the coil conversions?

Attachments

• proflex2.jpg
    proflex2.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 1,649
Re: Blue 856

hkind":3q3h14v8 said:
Had this 856 given to me last week. It is my one and only full suspension bike, with no suspension. Anyone still making the coil conversions?

Hi, Not sure about State side apart from ordering a new Rear Shock from Noleen or Risse, but something you may want to think about is doing a home-grown coil shock.

I have one on my XPX which seems to work fine, just some simple modification by the previous owner and hey presto a fully functioning coli shock.

Anyway nice bike, love the blue, would make a good resto project, I've loved doing mine :)

Attachments

• Spring.JPG
    Spring.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,638
Re: Blue 856

hkind":31fh20ud said:

There are various options for shock replacement. I've seen people use budget elastomers for riding lawnmowers (or some such thing) or Risse probably makes some of the higher priced options.

Might need a rebuild kit for the fork and the rear. There is a US seller that may have those still. It's worth a rebuild IMO. The 95-97 Pro-Flex's are among my favorite FS rides. The Vector 2 fork is just amazing. Nothing tracks so confidently. The downside is they are a bit prone to collapse in sand/soft loamy soil if you over steer. The rear suspension is great for XC and climbing which I enjoy.

Had the bike been originally fitted with Risse (or similarly acceptable) shocks instead of the elastomers that went bad after 3-5 years I think there would be a lot more appreciation for this bike. It needs a shock upgrade to perform at it's peak for any length of time.

Nothing wrong with the budget elastomer route I've seen. A quite inventive solution to Girvin's yellow marshmallows going hard (or melting). Probably not as good as the much more pricey upgrades but I'm sure they do a solid enough job of smoothing out most bumps.

It's amazing what a thread can do when it comes to motivation to get a build done, well with a stroke of luck and all parts in hand it is now complete, here is my Proflex 856 (With STX Groupset, Hope/Mavic Wheels, Magura Brakes)

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• DSCF3434.JPG
    DSCF3434.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • DSCF3435.JPG
    DSCF3435.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,613
  • DSCF3427.JPG
    DSCF3427.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,613
Mine's retro-mod, (which I guess will meet with some gnashing of teeth amongst the purists / extremists) in order to speedily get it ready to ride in sunny weather.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a wee bit too small for me though.

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

Back