1998? GT Tempest

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
hi
saved another bike from the scrap pile. frame is pretty rough. this was built as a rider. with a bit of a usa tribute, red white and blue, stars and stripes theme. hope the rain lets up this weekend. would like to take it for a spin down the trails.
roy

Attachments

• GT Tempest 004.JPG
    GT Tempest 004.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 5,142
  • GT Tempest 003.JPG
    GT Tempest 003.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 5,138
  • GT Tempest 002.JPG
    GT Tempest 002.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 5,142
  • GT Tempest 001.JPG
    GT Tempest 001.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 5,142
more

Attachments

• GT Tempest 007.JPG
    GT Tempest 007.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 5,136
  • GT Tempest 006.JPG
    GT Tempest 006.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 5,135
  • GT Tempest 005.JPG
    GT Tempest 005.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 5,136
Think I just bought one of these for £50... have I got a deal?
main.php

Poolio if it's that exact bike I'd say it's probably a bit shagged, look at the state of the chain. £50 is about right.

OP your's isn't a 98 I was looking to buy one that year and they where chrome. I'd say yours is 2000. Nice looking bike by the way.

carter711":2tqrxkj2 said:
Poolio if it's that exact bike I'd say it's probably a bit shagged, look at the state of the chain. £50 is about right.

Yeah, figured new chain and it'll probably run... thereafter, slowly, slowly mendymonkey...!

Took off the chain and soaked it in WD40, chain lube and some muck off, overnight... then hung it off a nail and dragged two wire brushes down it several times... came up ok!

Tonight I stripped and cleaned up the brakes and shifters, removed the cables and re-ordered some white cable housing and new brake and gear cables (from CRC)...

Frame's pretty rough, with 1 big gouge/scratch... thinking of stripping it back to bare... then do I stay bare or get it powder coated white...

How do you go about repairing a deep scratch /gouge?

Who can tell me the year... frame number is: F99025281 / 02150

Feb 99?

JP

poolio":d8sbf5r3 said:
poolio":d8sbf5r3 said:
After the sad demise of my Orange Clocky (91)... just picked this up from the Bay, for £52... looks like the chain's gone but other than that... fingers crossed. So... as a former Orange boy, how does the New GT Kid on the Block go about showing this GT Tempest some love?

main.php

First, re-cabled the beastie...
Image155.jpg

Then whipped this off...
Image204.jpg

And stuck these on... longer GT stem, Orange Supercross 2 Riser bar, Onza bar ends...
Image202.jpg

Needed a spacer... went carbon! £1.99 at evans.. mispriced?
Image207.jpg

Then the eBay fairy visited (with a contribution from richbamboozle)
Image200.jpg

Now it looks more like this...
Image208.jpg

How many links should you take out of a new chain? Is there a rule of thumb / guidance on chain length... it was really slack so I took 4 links out, but now it looks too short, obviously I'm gonna put a link back in, but does it matter if it's one or two links..?! Any tips.. think this is a tad short!

Image205.jpg

Back