My lovely '98 or '99 Rockhopper

RockhopperVet

Retro Newbie
Hi everybody,

So what do you think of my lovely Rockhopper?

I bought her in either 1998 or 99. I can’t remember exactly. Never really used her much as I lost the cycling bug and took up Paragliding. My son used her for school and wrecked it big time! Just about everything was either broken, bent or scratched. Then it lay abandoned for years. Last summer I did a rebuild only because it seemed a shame a once lovely machine had become so neglected. I replaced the tyres, chain, pedals, rear wheel, saddle, brake blocks, cables, handle bars and bar grips. That was last September. I went for one lovely ride on her in early October 2011 then didn’t use her again until January this year. I decided to get back on the bike and so replaced the pedals again with M520 clipless. I got a lovely Rival 143 saddle and a set of great second hand Deore XT shifters as the originals were playing up.

Since January 31 I’ve done over 600 miles, mainly on road and ridden a few CX Sportives. I’ve now got the bike bug again big time and love my ‘old skool’ Rockhopper. I still think it’s got the best proportions and angles. I love her more now than when I bought her 13 or 14 years ago!

I’d love to know what you think and there must be more out there? So lets see ‘em!

Attachments

• SAM_0543Web.JPG
    SAM_0543Web.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 545
Ahhh, but you still could have bought it in late '98 :LOL:

The first picture it looks lovely, but that picture ^^^ looks better :cool:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Glad you like it. Yes, I still love the colour and the mud shot! I've worked out I bought her in May '99 Bob as I've found the photos I took when the bike was brand new. I'll post them shortly when I can get them off my old laptop running Windows 95!

Back