Cannondale lefty service

sylus

Old School Grand Master
Any one have or had a cannondale with a lefty and had it serviced?

also anything to look out for when buying a lefty bike?

Friend of mine gets his done somewhere I can't remember off hand, will find out for you though

dont quote me but as far as im aware just look for the same issues you would with any other forks.
Hard to explain really but if they make a 'thump'/'clang' sorta noise when you fully compress them they prob will need the needle bearings resetting.
I havent attempted it myself but if you do a google the whole process seems pretty straight forward with nothing much to go wrong if you follow the instructions.

With regards to a full service(new oil, seals etc) again there is some step by steps if you google. I think some models do require a special tool but if i remember correctly the HT2 BB tool does the job.

Thanks for the replys

I've always wanted odd looking bikes proflex 957, whyte prst-1 and a lefty just because they all look a bit freaky and whilst the left shock basics are easy the identifying specific faults and servicing/costs/self service (not me..the bike) was info handy to have.

I've had about 3 or 4 different lefties over the years (still have 2) always get themlooked after by Tony at Thumbprint tuning because he is local to me and is excellent!

http://www.thumbprinttuning.co.uk/

They are very robust forks (struts?) and pretty much any problem can be fixed as all parts are replaceable (even totally rusted bearings and races are not terminal) but depending what needs doing it can be expensive.

If buying second hand usual things apply, check all damping adjusters turn and have the effect they are supposed to, check for oil and or air leaks. Cycle the fork and check for odd knocks, clangs, bangs or other nasty noises.

With lefties always always check the condition of the boot, if it is torn or split then check the bearing races for corrosion, it's even worth sliding a good boot up to check this anyway.

Ask about service history and where it was done too.

Matt

Thumbprint came up as one of the prefered people to service the lefty when I looked into servicing mine.
They were actually reccomended by TFT as they will service the older imperial threaded lefty wheras TFT wont.

I really struggled to get hold of them though and in the end, gave up and despite hating them, took mine to leisurelakes.

3 weeks later they came back as good as new and a service cost of 100 quid.

new roller plates, seals, damper thingy inside, shock boot and a few other bits.

Wasnt really painful, only handing over the card to the idiots at leisurelakes :(

Latest posts

Back