1998 Kona Stab

Buzzsaw

Retro Guru
Here is my next Kona project. Took a 6 hour drive to pick it up and pretty rare to find these in Oz. Frame is chipped and scratched with stickers. Will clean it up and see how much work it needs. Already got bars, Raceface Turbine cranks, MRP Worldcup chainguide, XTR 952 derailleur but abit stumped for front forks. Thinking oldie Marzocchi Jnr T or Rockshox DHO ones. Only problem is they're hard to come by over these neck of the woods but I see a few advertised in Blighty on Ebay more often but alot of the sellers don't sell to overseas buyers. Anyone got any ideas plus does anyone know about getting new bushings and the bolts/washers for the rocker arm. Looking at it I don't think it complete as only an Allen key bolt is on one side and no washer. Any UK dealers able to supply to overseas customers. CRC had lot of Kona parts but won't ship to Australia??!
Cheers for any leads.

Attachments

• stab 98 _2.jpg
    stab 98 _2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 2,235
  • stab 98_4.jpg
    stab 98_4.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,234
  • stab98_1.jpg
    stab98_1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 2,234
I loved these when they first came out - blue with yellow flames was about as cool as it got!

How about an original set of Mr T's? They were (are) cool as hell. I really wish that I hadn't sold mine.

I think BETD in the UK may do spares for these (I know they may the rocker links etc).

Good luck getting it sorted.

What about kona world?

http://www.konaworld.com/

Betd will charge you so much!
Looks good.

I was thinking black boxxers with the metal decals (not sure on year/model).

Or super t's? Mr.t's are a good choice too.

Have you asked on here about a forwarding address for items?

If you need bearings DO NOT go to BETD! Give these guys a call. (Marksman bearings) 01252 345455. I got 2 bearings for my lobo and they chatged me £12 posted.

Got some good leads on the bushings - thanks everyone. Checked out the BETD site for parts but my jaw dropped on the price they wanted.
As for forks Mr T's would be brilliant but rare as hen's teeth - only seen a couple on sale over the last few years. May wait and see what shows up on websites. Wheels will be Rhyno lites with XT hubs as per spec.

Nice bike - I remember seeing the original Stab - flames and all in the local bike shop window back in it's day and that got me hooked on Kona's and Marzocchi shockies. Very cool bikes with crazy paint jobs plus seeing pics of the Misser brothers churning on the DH race circuits on their Kona rebadged Turner Afterburner bikes which the original Stab was based on. It's only now that I finally managed to get one. Being a poor minimum wage slave back then didn't help!

My ones just been sent over to my brothers in Spain. I had a Kona/turner misser rep back in the day and my brother got a 98 stab a few years later!
I've just sold some mint mr t's which you probably don't want to hear, however I've got a set of oe jr t's (100mm travel iirc) from our stab, they do need a new crown/steerer but they're not being used and I am willing to ship them. Not sure what they're worth but if you're interested let me know!

Back