Olmo - fluted tubing, project now complete

Re: Olmo

agentorange":39yu5jgz said:
Forgive me for asking this but are you 100% sure it's an Olmo. It looks virtually identical to a Columbus Cromor frame I have in my shed (inc flutes).

Yes, 100% certain but you are right to ask as it has no marks on it anywhere. However, I have a photo of it taken just after it was purchased by the only owner it ever had until me and Olmo themselves have confirmed it's one of theirs. The Olmo factory don't have any records of it either but one of their older workers recalls a few being built in the mid 1980s. The precise nature of the tubing isn't certain either, probably Columbus but not Gilco (despite the sticker I've put on it, that being the nearest type I could find!).

If you ever think of parting with your frame I'd be interested, love to do a similar job to this one, strip, re-powder coat, newish period kit.

Gordon

If you ever think of parting with your frame I'd be interested, love to do a similar job to this one, strip, re-powder coat, newish period kit.

Gordon

I'm actually toying with doing the exact same thing. The reason I mention it is that mine isn't an Olmo

agentorange":17wjgmad said:

Gordon

I'm actually toying with doing the exact same thing. The reason I mention it is that mine isn't an Olmo

What is it? Photos? I'm very interested as I have a fondness for unusual frames. One of my regrets last year is that I didn't bid enough for a very curious frame where the rear brake cable was recessed into the top tube, didn't run through it but clipped into a full length recess. Never seen one before, haven't seen one since and I kicked myself later for being so cheap in my bidding!

GordonB":2vqvlebq said:
agentorange":2vqvlebq said:

Gordon

What is it? Photos? I'm very interested as I have a fondness for unusual frames. One of my regrets last year is that I didn't bid enough for a very curious frame where the rear brake cable was recessed into the top tube, didn't run through it but clipped into a full length recess. Never seen one before, haven't seen one since and I kicked myself later for being so cheap in my bidding!

Yeah, mine is a Carvalo Marino as per pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/earwacks/ It's another one of those bikes where no info exists anywhere. The frame is very, very similar to your Olmo, the only notable differences being a slight change in the way the stays affix to the seat cluster and the rear brake bridge is not identical but look at the crimped main triangle, never seen this before. The frame is lovely and I'm still debating whether it's worth a project. You see why the powder coat route appeals. The frame has a Cromor sticker but it looks aftermarket.

Slightly OT, but the Vitus is awesome! I love the chromed head tube: it pulls the stem and the forks together, making the front end a single unit.

Having said "chromed", is it? It looks to have a slightly matt finish.

GordonB":3tbhubte said:
One of my regrets last year is that I didn't bid enough for a very curious frame where the rear brake cable was recessed into the top tube, didn't run through it but clipped into a full length recess. Never seen one before, haven't seen one since and I kicked myself later for being so cheap in my bidding!

Sounds like it was probably an MBK, low shot in seat stays would confirm it.

Oh and your Olmo is lovely!!! Any before shots? The original colour and the resprayed would be great.

GordonB":k5xv2r32 said:
but for the mo the only change I'm going to make is to change the tyres to some that are less blue.

Gordon

Funny you say that, normally I loathe coloured tyres on builds, but really like them on this, ditto with the splash tape... They shouldn't work in theory, but somehow do and really give the bike character. I really like the build. Chapeau!

Photos of the bike as it is now below and a shot of it when it was almost new (scan of a not very special quality photo). Now fitted out with mainly Campag Veloce kit, including the Monoplanar brakes (probably the nicenst looking calipers ever IMO), ergos will be changed to Veloce when I can source a good enough pair. The wheels are Shimano hubbed as I want to run a 126mm rear 7 speed with 8 speed Campag shifters to avaoid having to spread the rear fork.

Still my favourite bike although I ride my Roberts more often as this one is for those special days.

Gordon

Attachments

• Olmo 1.jpg
    Olmo 1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Olmo 2.jpg
    Olmo 2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Olmo.jpg
    Olmo.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Olmo in original condition (2).jpg