2012 Time Trial Season

I have done two so far this year. On a modern but one old timer thought it was a classic frame as it lugged steel.

This bike, Triator Exile.

P1010075-1.jpg

This first event (April 12th) was the West Suffolk Wheelers and Tri club TT near Gt. Livermere. It was a 5.5 mile course which I managed in 16:22s but the leader manged 13mins something. 36 riders turned up I think. The second event a few day later was at West Stow (Sunday 15th April) and was only attended by 8 riders as their was a sportive on with a neighbouring club. This was a much harder 10 miles course with half of it into a headwind. I thought I was doing quite well until one chap with a aero helmet passed me and he set of about 4 minutes after me!

I finished in 32mins something, the slowest on the day by 2 minutes. The fastst finsihed in 26 minutes something.

In about three weeks time the newly finished Alan will be used for the remainder of the time trial season as it fits comfortably in the boot of my car. The Triator given it mudguards does not.

If you're riding TT's with the bike in the condition shown in the photo with 'guards, heavy tyres etc. then you've done OK. I think you'll be surprised when you get on a lighter bike with good tyres how much faster you will go. Keep trying, improvements will come!

Yes I did it with the guards and gator skins. I have noticed the Alan with its it tubs is far easier to get up to speed and keep it there. I'll what difference it makes in a few weeks time.

Last Saturday I rode the Lincoln Wheelers 25 for pre-1980 bikes near Sleaford. I took the lighter green Dave Russell to ride as it is 1973 dated. On the way down the A1 there were several heavy showers and the sky over the Sleaford area looked very heavy but thankfully it kept off during the ride. The course on A15 and A52 was a real old-fashioned single carriageway one, quite open and exposed on the second A52 leg. The wind seemed to be a hinderance all the way - or is it that I'm just not very fit? Anyway, I recorded 1-13-23 so pleased to have beaten a 20mph average. Winner of the 'Old Skool' section did 1-5-21 - but I was second - and I won the handicap prize and Concours prize for Best Bike. I'll drink them on a warm summer's evening sometime - if we ever get any! The event was run in conjunction with a tricycle event which started after the OS bikes. I was actually caught for 11 mins and dropped for a further 2 by a trike - but he had recorded a 54 minute 25 the week before on it so perhaps it wasn't to bad on reflection.

Probably be riding the Bridlington 25 along with Daccordi Mark on the 27th in Old Skool category. Any one else interested?

Well done Paul, it sounds like a good event....

54 minutes, in a 25 TT, on a tricycle, did he have a engine fitted... :LOL:

Mike..

Last night I rode the Yorkshire CF 10 up near Boroughbridge. Quite a cool evening - and I didn't start until gone 8.00pm. One of the first times I felt I really needed the flashing rear light. With a bit of wind and low temperature (but dry!!) I was still feeling the effects of the 25 so crept round in 28-46 riding my Flandria Homage machine. I think I was the only one riding with 'proper' dropped bars etc. I wasn't the actual slowest - but not far off. Winner did a low 21mins.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I'm just not fit enough to be pushing myself in TT's at present. I blame the weather which is not nearly sufficiently encouraging to make it a pleasure to get out 'training' (actually just practising riding a bike) on a regular basis. From talking to other riders at the HQ after the event I reckon I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Roll on Summer - PLEASE!!

Last night I managed to get the Mercian downt to the VC Long Eaton 10 on a sporting circuit in West Leake. Although there were £5000 low profiles lying around, a 22 year old steel bike got way more attention. Unfortunately technology (plus natural ability and fitness) won the day as I came home in 27:30. Not bad for this time of year and no tri bars!!

Check out the circuit on Strava

http://app.strava.com/rides/8739687

Matt

daccordimark":3jjv52qf said:
Nice one Matt. My target for this season is a 27 but it's not looking good at the moment.:oops:

Mark.

My target is just to get back on the bike! Even today's sunshine hasn't tempted me. It's probably to hot now :roll:

Yeh, good ride Matt, lets's see a another minute off this week ;)

Old Ned":346x37r0 said:
daccordimark":346x37r0 said:
Nice one Matt. My target for this season is a 27 but it's not looking good at the moment.:oops:

Mark.

My target is just to get back on the bike! Even today's sunshine hasn't tempted me. It's probably to hot now :roll:

Yeh, good ride Matt, lets's see a another minute off this week ;)

Old Ned: I hope you don't see this until tea time when you get back from a super day out on the bike in the glorious sunshine. I was very close to taking a "duvet day" today and just riding round all day watching the sunlight flashing off the chrome forks on the Daccordi!

I can see you need some serious motivation before Mrs Ned starts to suggest selling your collection due to them gathering dust.

Mark.

Back