Olmo - fluted tubing, project now complete

hamster":218zlb0r said:
Campag 8 speed has exactly the same cog spacing as 7 speed, so any Campag 8 speed setup will shift perfectly on your 7 speed cassette.

Also, both Campag and Shimano agreed on 7 speed being 5mm pitch, so it was before they went their different ways on gears.

Have a look at 'Shimergo' on the CTC forum.

Very handsome bike. With the tough coat and 105 gruppo full rider ready.

I've just been out and had another look at it and decided that although the 105 groupset may not be Italian, it's complete, looks tasty and works a treat. I might change it at some time in the future, if a set of Veloce Ergos drops into my lap, but for the mo the only change I'm going to make is to change the tyres to some that are less blue.

Trouble is that I like dt shifters, my Bill Nickson has a set of 9 speed Dura Ace dt shifters and they are a ruddy delight!

Gordon

Somehow I pictured a six-sided tube: any thoughts on what the flutes "do"?

Spot-on colour choice for those decals!

BUT... I thought you were a Shimano-free zone?

Jim.

ScillySuffolk":1wgsnnpa said:
Somehow I pictured a six-sided tube: any thoughts on what the flutes "do"?

Spot-on colour choice for those decals!

BUT... I thought you were a Shimano-free zone?

Jim.

The flutes are intended to stiffen the tubes, this is a technique used in industry but the benefits interns of increased stiffness versus weight are marginal in this instance. Columbus still do a fluted tube set, Gilco, which is used on steel Colnagos.

I've now changed the group set to Campag Chorus with the exception of the wheels and cassette, which are Shimano Sante. This gives me a 7 speed cassette with 5mm spacing shifted by a Campag 8 speed Ergos, which also use a 5mm spacing. Works perfectly and looks much nicer.

Gordon

Rich34":1ptaqm6h said:
Would be good to see some pictures of the Campag-spec version Gordon - what a beautiful bike.

I have to do photos of all my bikes for security and insurance purposes so I'm going to try to do this over the weekend and I'll post the results.

Thanks for the compliment, the Campag version looks even nicer!

Gordon

That is a fantastic looking bike. :cool:

Love the design of the seatstay bridge.

olmo_3_202.jpg

Olmo

Forgive me for asking this but are you 100% sure it's an Olmo. It looks virtually identical to a Columbus Cromor frame I have in my shed (inc flutes).

Back