1996 Judy XC rebuild - FINISHED (page 7) 30/05/12

So today I took the circlips out the bottom of the internals, and as I pulled the internals out (as pictured below), a big fat dribble of oil came out... Is this right, and if so what oil do I need to replace it with? Guessing this is what Reki was on about a couple of pages ago, with 5cc of 5wt oil in the bottom?

The other side was bone dry and dusty.. :(

567ba516.jpg

Steve,
I may be wrong, but as I've said my comments are from what I did & I don't want to mislead in case I'm wrong?

Is that leg the non Damper Cartridge leg? Just the dummy leg? If so, no Oil goes in there that I was ever aware of. That just got Fork Grease on the parts. The other leg has the cartridge in (Right leg, looking at the front of bike) which has Oil (in the cartridge not injected into the leg's bolt hole) - not sure what weight as my Shop Owner Mate rebuilt it, but sure you'll get a reply if I can't find out. These were known to leak as the seals popped.

Only a tiny bit to go on Mate I'm afraid, but I never put any Oil in the Dummy leg, just greased the parts and replaced as per the explosive diagram.

Stroke the damping cartridge through its movement. If it sounds like an asmatic chain smoker on a smoggy day it may have leaked. Does it resist against the movement, if so it may be ok.

Ok, the one pictured (that poured oil out) above, is the non-driveside leg (left as you sit on the bike) and it strokes with resistence, no noises.

The dried-out and dusty side, is the driveside leg (not pictured)

Sounds like the cartridge is OK then as Riki states, but if you've lost a fair amount of oil, wonder how much is left in there? The RS manual that might be on here (I have it if you need it) shows you how to rebuild the long way...my Mate did it in about 2xMins & has been OK Since...

All the oil poured out, so I've cleaned it up, and assumed there's none left in there now. It was only a couple of teaspoon fulls max, I'd estimate..

There's more in there than a couple of Teaspoons. Mine was refilled to the top...so looks like you're gonna be OK? But now you're getting out of my Tech depth...If the leg moves up & down (stroking :shock: ) with resistance, sounds like it's OK. Anybody you can take it to?

Nobody to take it to, as far as I know, I'm still enjoying the challenge of rebuilding them myself, with help from the RB community.. :D

So just got to read-up on how to fill the oil-side back up, and what with.. ;)

Latest posts

Back