1995 Marin Indian Fire Trail - noob help needed

Big_Al

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I've just got a 95' IFT and was looking for a bit of help...

I think the frame is a 19"? the serial number on the frame is FK5JAD015

It came with the original Marin Lite chromoly forks on it, but I fancy maybe getting some suspension forks that I know were an option. (rock shox or manitou)

Can anyone help me with what I should be looking for in terms of spec for new forks?

I think it's 1 1/8 but what length steerer for my frame and should it be threaded or unthreaded?

Any help / comments appreciated....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78766040@N03/

Hello and welcome
Nice. I like Marins.

I would suggest a manitou 4 for the the front of that
Maybe in ahead steerer flavour with a nice silver answer stem too
The steerer length will depend on how much height you want from your bars I guess, find one with a long steerer and then you can experiment.

Just my 2peneth

nice clean ift example, good one!

with cnc'd chainstay too. manitou is a natural choice, from that period anyway. if you stick with threaded just measure the steerer you already have.
plus a couple of millimetres can be taken in by spacers but, less will be troublesome for headset. yes 1.1/8"

it's all down to your taste of course. i tend to stick with what i have and build on it. some flat bars and a non-suspension stem would be my step forward. i have some blue marin lite bars from 1995 too, maybe available soon. ;)

good luck, be happy and ride it!

Cheers for the comments - like the look of the manitous as well..

marc two tone - if you are getting rid of a set of blue marin lite bars, please pm me first as I'd definitely be interested....

Excuse my ignorance, but will the steerer I already have be threaded?

Nice bike!

From the looks of it the only OE is the rear mech.
The pedals suit the bike 'tho i'd keep them if I were you.

Spec should be full XT - Bikepedia has it listed.

I have the 96 version - which had a threadless headset/steerer and
Mavic 221s.

Frame looks tidy 'tho - sorted.

:)

Big_Al":m1aamhjj said:
Cheers for the comments - like the look of the manitous as well..

marc two tone - if you are getting rid of a set of blue marin lite bars, please pm me first as I'd definitely be interested....

Excuse my ignorance, but will the steerer I already have be threaded?

the bars i refer to are here, the blue ones. i will keep them for you as the other silver bar has gone.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

camera(low battery) has done a shocking pic but loads better to naked eye ;)

same price of course.

marc two tone - thanks for your help - the bars and stem will be a good help in improving the look back the way it should be....

PopsTrippin - thanks for clarifying that...

Think I'm quickly catching the bug of putting it back to original where possible!!!

Anyone got any idea what the model numbers for the XT shifters, brake levers & front mech I should be looking out for?

Also fancy trying to get hold of the marin lite cantis if I can...

The catalogue has the steerer length as 15 cm for my frame so I guess I'm after a 150mm threaded manitou 4 fork then?

Thanks for all the help and comments - really appreciate you taking the time to help a noob!

Hi Al,

Lovely looking frame you have there.
Top of my head I believe it's M737 XT you need.
Although the rear hub was LX M565.
Then a set of WI cranks, and a WI front hub.
The marin canti's where also blue (I'm looking out for a set for mine also)

Good luck with your build, look forward to some more pictures.

Back