Kona Hei Hei

Update

I thought I might add a quick update to the Hei Hei.

She's having a hard life under my command, getting in 500km a week on my extended commute, all on bike paths and tarmac.

A few spec changes in the cockpit area.

A set of Groovy Luv Handles, in steel flavour. (I can’t recommend these enough).
http://www.groovycycleworks.com/Pages/LuvHandles.aspx
Which led to a new stem, so a hope xc was sourced.
Plus a Black King Headset - pure indulgence.

Then under the 'strain' the Pace RC31 fork failed, and it failed properly.
All things considered I did well out of it, but the catastrophic nature of the failure left me shaken up.

Luckily, I was riding up a pretty steep road at 10kmh, 5 mins later I would have been riding down the same hill at 70kmh. :shock:

Anyway, I got a RC31Ti to replace the fork, which is sweet. And I’ll be checking on a regular basis for cracks :D

Currently set up for winter commuting, I’m sure it looks warm in the photos, but it’s pretty cold right now down under.

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 910
Re: Update

rory breaker":1xsygfwu said:
Then under the 'strain' the Pace RC31 fork failed, and it failed properly.
All things considered I did well out of it, but the catastrophic nature of the failure left me shaken up.

WooHoo ... DIY Lefty. Who really needs Cannondale now, eh ?! :shock:

Glad the Leftifcation didn't end up too ugly for you. It couldn't have been ..

Wow, that is a pretty serious failure, TBH I wouldn't be going anywhere near another set of those if that happened!

Neil G":15unu8zr said:
Wow, that is a pretty serious failure, TBH I wouldn't be going anywhere near another set of those if that happened!

I wasnt that keen either, but they had done an awful lot of kms.
And, try finding a rigid fork these days with v-brake bosses - almost impossible.

RB

Re:

I was just enjoying this write up of probably one of the most well used hei hei's on here and then my heart dropped seeing your latest post. What on earth happened?

Re:

What happened?

I was truly just 'riding along'.
The crack looks to have started from the hole for the bottle cage boss, all that is now holding the frame together is the bottle cage :)

She has served me well.
Over the last three years the bike has done 41,000km.

On the hunt for a replacement.

Latest posts

Back