Show me your really modern full susses and why you bought it

I was quite anti full sus until I brought a 2006 GT I drive second hand then I was really sold on it. Mine's got 160mm Domains up front and 200mm brakes so is on the burly side but going downhill on it was a real eye opener as you can just stay off the brakes so much more than on a hardtail.

Definately the right tool for the job for Wales etc. but not sure I woudl want a full sus if I could only have one bike!

553757_10150890355967004_654722003_12551341_1007315927_n.jpg

This is my Zesty, it is wicked :LOL: I ride on Dartmoor a lot, my xc rides are basically joining up the downhills with easy uphill parts! Even then i don't find the uphills too bad, i just chill out and enjoy the view.

Around 120 mm is more than enough for most stuff, i've done a week in Morzine on a 4" SC heckler. Hecklers rule!

2009 Cannondale Rize4. 130mm travel. This is a great allrounder, which I bought after testing (and breaking some of..) all the usual suspects. Lifetime frame warranty. Pro-pedal. Front lockout. Now added a Joplin dropper too.

Attachments

• 17_01_10d_622.jpg
    17_01_10d_622.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 880
This is my second Orange 5 and I couldn't recommend them enough. Great for all types of riding and my go to bike for nearly every ride. It's the reason I have very little retro atm, they just didn't get used. This one started with 160mm up front but the Fox forks turned to mince so were replaced with 140mm DT Swiss. 140mm Fox RP23 out back. 140mm all round is perfect for me.

When I change this it'll be with another 5. They're ace :D :cool:

Attachments

• orange 5 007.jpg
    orange 5 007.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 830
Cannot agree more with Brocklanders :D
This is his old 5 frame that I now own, 150mm RS Revelations up front and 140mm out back. The frame is a 06 and the pivot bearings are still running as sweat as the day it was made. :D

Attachments

• 2012-04-07_18-47-40_114.jpg
    2012-04-07_18-47-40_114.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 823
Thanks guys. I'm a big orange fan (retro) and the 5's certainly get rave reviews. Not sure if I'm sold on the looks though..........

My 1st taste of a full susser was an 05 Specialized Epic, and i loved how the brain worked. It wasn't till i went to a trail center with some mates and found i couldn't quite keep up with them on their 120-140 rigs. I got offered an 09 carbon Stumpy frame with 120mm of travel plus the brain I put 140mm talas forks on the front and must say i prefer the riding position on the stumpy. although unless i lower the forks on a climb its not as nice as the epic was

Attachments

• Stumpy 1.JPG
    Stumpy 1.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 701
for anyone who hasnt ridden a modern full suspension bike theres almost too much choice. I heartily recommend attending some of the many demo days & test riding as many different bikes as possible.

Yeti 575. I saw them advertised in some comic and thought that's the one. Saw it in the metal and knew it was right, despite being longer travel than I thought I needed. Over 5yrs I've still got it. It's been round the Quantocks the last few days and I'm grinning like an idiot. It climbs exceptionally well, handles even better and loves going downhill. Yes it's a bit flexy when cornering hard, but it doesn't really matter, the handling shines. Oh and it's turq.

Yeti 575 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

This is wor lasses Nicolai. She had bertroots Trek fuel and just didn't get on with it. Nothing wrong with it, she loved the way it descended, but just didn't gel with it. The Nicolai was a result of months off with a knee injury and reading various reviews. Still a big gamble, but it's worked. She much happier with it. Apparently it climbs better than her Trek, but descends just as well. Then again for a retail on the frame more than the complete trek bike.....
I haven't ridden it, but the build quality is excellent. Not the lightest frame, but it appears bombproof.

Nicolai Helius CC by ahsatb, on Flickr

Back