Using Alfine Hub with dual ring Chainset?

azraelazrael

Dirt Disciple
Has anyone tried to change a Cannondale Bad Boy WhiteEdition Solo Ultra to use a dual chainset?

It has no derailiuer hanger and is bolt axle amongst other things, I guess it would need an old school mech to take up any slack in the chain.

Just a bad idea?

Girlfriend uses the bike and it involves a monster hill with the 8 Speed Alfine isn't geared for...

cannondale-bad-boy-whiteedition-solo-ultra-2009-bike.jpg

Re: .

azraelazrael":2hecakgy said:
Grannygrinder":2hecakgy said:
Just fit a smaller front chainring?

The gearing is fine apart from the hill, going to a single smaller ring won't help as the commute is 7 miles each way

I'm running an Alfine with 32:23 gearing and (if I wanted to) I could easily commute seven miles on it and climb probably any road hill in existence too.
How steep/long is this hill anyway?

Easiest options are either lower the overall gearing and learn to spin higher cadences or else MTFU (WTFU? :?) on the climbs.
If either option is deemed to be not possible then fitting an Alfine 11 hub instead is another option.

Place I used to work had a bike in their range that was precisely this.

Never saw the point of it myself as the Alfine chain tensioner was basically a rear mech - but it worked fine.

If the hill is really that bad tell her to take a less direct route if possible as traversing a hill or going around it can be quicker and is usually less effort than going over.

Pricey (£450ish) but you could get a Sclumpf MountainDrive to replace the chainset and BB. It would last a lifetime of bikes, though.

1:2.5 dual speed gearbox for the front...

MD.JPG

Or a Truvativ Hammerschmidt, a bit cheaper (£350), but hardcore DH:
hammerschmidt.jpg

All the best,

Nice bike.. I have the same. I don't think you could fit a front mech as there is no rear mech hanger for a chain tensioner; the ECC is for a fixed drive-chain.

Back