Thinking of changing my rims ?

Hi Ian, sorry I didn't get chance to look at this yet. Will try and find time this afternoon. if you know the dimensions of the hubs then that would help a lot! (centre line to each flange and flange diameter (the circle formed by the spoke holes, not the actual outside diameter of the flange)

Andy

The rear hub is centre to spoke hole 25mm. Front hub centre to spoke hole 20mm.

No idea what the flange diameter is got no flexible rule ! Any dimensions available on the net' for the DA 7400 hubs ?

Ian.

ok, doesn't matter on the 6, 7 or 8 speed as there's virtually no difference. spocalc gives these lengths for your current wheels (36h, x3) (actual spoke length in brackets)

front 296.1 (296)
rear DS 293.2 (293)
rear NDS 294.9 (295)

so more or less what you have now.

changing the ERD from 608 to 606 gives the following:

front 295.1 (295)
rear DS 292.2 (292)
rear NDS 293.9 (294)

The DT calculator gives the same results.

So if all the spokes from your rear wheel are the same length at 295mm (really they shouldn't be, but it's not that unusual) and they're in good condition, then you could use them on the front and you'll only need new spokes on the rear. The spokes you have all seem a little long for the old build, if they were on the short side you might get away with using the exact same spokes all round. If you like, I'll have a dig through the spokes I have and see if I can find some 292 and 294 lengths or very close to.

Andy

oops, I thought you said 36, or maybe I just imagined it... they are both cross-3, right? anyway, yes, it does make a big difference! with your current wheels, you should have these lengths:

front 298.3 (29:cool:
rear DS 295.9 (296)
rear NDS 297.5 (29:cool:

changing the ERD from 608 to 606 gives the following:

front 297.4 (297)
rear DS 294.9 (295)
rear NDS 296.5 (297)

so 1mm less all round - you could probably get away with it. If you're going to be building the wheels yourself, then you might as well try it and see. if you're going to be paying someone else to do it, then check with them first.

Andy

ninety":uxk168qi said:
Erm, Planet X have MA40s for £30 each...

Aw bugger. I wish I had known that before I just had a set of wheels built with the next best thing; Open Pro CD.

Surprised therefore that there are some Ebay Vendors on the continent charging £150 per pair of MA40s...

Rims arrived and look well smart :cool:

Stripped old wheels down and re-built them up onto new rims, spokes fit nicely [panic over] passed onto a friend to fully tighten up.

All the hassle will be over come this Saturday afternoon ;)

Ian.

looks like you got away with the old spokes then! I'm sure you will anyway, but post a pic once they're finished!

Latest posts

Back