Opinions: convert my Machine Tech canti's to v-brakes?

Neil":k24kkrxd said:
cce":k24kkrxd said:
the whole "frame before v-brakes = no v brakes" thing is bull

99.9% of us couldnt wait to ditch our faffy to adjust cantis back in the day.

and yes, i'm perfectly capable of setting a canti up nicely, i just have better things to do.
Awfully harsh - there's plenty of things, on here, taken "as is" that are just aesthetics - and this is no different.

I'm already a pariah, i run V's on a frame with a canti hanger.

i liken it to sticking a more modern engine into a classic car - if it means it gets used more, just bloody do it!

it's also odd that i've seen a few threads where people have moved hell and high water to run cantis on frames and forks that were never intended for them, but this is "ok"

cce":2423z3io said:
Neil":2423z3io said:
cce":2423z3io said:

and yes, i'm perfectly capable of setting a canti up nicely, i just have better things to do.
Awfully harsh - there's plenty of things, on here, taken "as is" that are just aesthetics - and this is no different.
I'm already a pariah, i run V's on a frame with a canti hanger.

i liken it to sticking a more modern engine into a classic car - if it means it gets used more, just bloody do it!

it's also odd that i've seen a few threads where people have moved hell and high water to run cantis on frames and forks that were never intended for them, but this is "ok"
Of course it is - cantis are <deity>'s own brakes.

In fairness, though, many of those scenarios are things like a change in stem, resulting in a need for a canti hanger - or using aheadsets, where previously a threaded headset, old-fashioned stem with a hanger held under the headset locknut, or boingy fork have made original fixtures and fittings fubar'd.

It's just the difficult and fiddly argument that's a tad irksome - plus as I said - plenty of other aesthetics are deemed axioms, as I see it, this is no different.

Personally, I'm less bothered about frame accoutrements looking out of place with Vs - but I do think learning to setup cantis is a worthwhile lesson given that Vs largely dumbed this brake thing down.

Perhaps they are an anacrhonism - but then where would we be without anachronisms.

drystonepaul":15ztcbx2 said:
cce":15ztcbx2 said:

Yes, but setting up cantis properly is all part of the fun.
But also yes, there are better things to do with one's time.
I think of it as therapy - and practice of an arcane art that may otherwise die out...

cce":wqfrspdw said:

If a person is asking for peoples views on a subject then he will get them. Even if you don't like that view.

tintin40":g0akba53 said:
cce":g0akba53 said:

If a person is asking for peoples views on a subject then he will get them. Even if you don't like that view.

unless that view is "go on, fit <more modern part>", in which case the collective wrath of the forum descends.

i've been here a long time, i've watched fashions change. I miss the good old days when it was mainly people who just loved the way their old bikes handled, regardless of whether the brakes were a couple of years newer

cce":22np1sh1 said:
unless that view is "go on, fit <more modern part>", in which case the collective wrath of the forum descends.

From what i saw the 'collective' was saying fit V's. "it's your bike" I was the only one to say don't do it.

What ever the owner chooses those are lovely cant's he has.

cce":21hg0b4v said:
i've been here a long time, i've watched fashions change. I miss the good old days when it was mainly people who just loved the way their old bikes handled, regardless of whether the brakes were a couple of years newer

I think this is a very fair point, and as has been mentioned I have already gone ahead and modified my bike quite a bit. But I think that's what is at the heart here, my 18 year old steel frame and a few other bits like the seat post, stem, and handlebars. I like the way the frameset rides, the riding position (which is why I went in search of another '94/'95 steel framed Stumpjumper) and that's why I've kept it all these years.

How about this, I'll keep the Machine Tech cantilever brakes and any other parts I swap for a while in case I get the urge to switch back? :D

In other words I'm going to move forward with looking for these parts, sounds like I don't need anything special to mount the rears, I just need final confirmation from you experts if I need anything to mount them on my Judy XC fork.

I wouldn't stress over what other's think. I've been told my 94 Zaskar is all wrong, despite the fact that I built it, in 94. How can a bike I built, to my spec, by me, for me, be wrong :roll:

As I said previously; it's your bike, built by you, for you. Who gives a rats what anyone else thinks.

Vive la difference.

NeilM":3px2bdn3 said:
Who gives a rats what anyone else thinks.

Vive la difference.

But if you ask then expect to get advice. I like to hear others views on a build not just 'yes' men

Yep all opinions here are welcome, that's why I asked. Thanks everyone, now if I just clarify any hangups like possibly the mounting for the brakes on my Judy XC, then I can go forth and find a set.

Back