Retroroad Ride 2nd June - retrobeer build thread

She worked in the lab testing samples of the raw materials that came in from the farmers.. I know she wore a white coat!

Old man Fawcett was a bit of a character apparently...

ringo":1g5ou0uw said:
She worked in the lab testing samples of the raw materials that came in from the farmers.. I know she wore a white coat!

Old man Fawcett was a bit of a character apparently...

I've only met the current Fawcett who is called James. It's a very 'old school' maltings, oak panels and real fires in the office etc... and a snifter at lunchtime with your sarnies!

I dream of white coats and clipboards :LOL:

I’ve decided on the hops for our brew and we are going American! Hops are what give us bitterness and aroma in a pint and they are split, broadly speaking into 3 groups, bittering, aroma and dual-purpose. Each variety has an alpha acid rating, given as a percentage, and this tells us how much ‘bitterness’ we can extract from each batch of hops. As a general rule aroma hops are low alpha, bittering are high alpha and dual-purpose are in the middle. But as we all know rules are meant to be broken!!, so there is a lot of room for playing.

The varieties for our brew are all American and will be Delta 6.9% for bittering, then for aroma we are going for Willamette, Bullion and Ammarillo all mixed in together. We are not concerned about the alpha acid for aroma hops as they only contribute a small amount of bitterness.
The shiny bags on the photo are our hops, they are shipped over from the States in big bags called ‘Bales’ and then split down here in 5kg bags and then vacuum sealed.

It will be a reasonably bitter beer but will have lots and lots of flavour....hopefully!!!

The brew date is now Friday 18th of May...Spence gets the honours, with myself as mash-monkey, mainly due to the time it will take to empty the copper (think huuuge saucepan) of all those hops, 16 kg in total :LOL:

I'll get some brew day pictures posted here Friday PM.

Karl

Attachments

• IMGP2261.JPG
    IMGP2261.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 654
  • IMGP2262.JPG
    IMGP2262.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 654
  • IMGP2263.JPG
    IMGP2263.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 654
At the moment we are going for the imaginative 'retrobike' name :)

Spence has almost finished making it so piccies up tonight....avert your eyes if you are of a sensitive disposition..sweaty man in wellies!

The wort is in the fermenter...it's not beer yet as it doesn't contain any alcohol, only sugar. Spence was brewing today and coped admirably, especially as it's Friday and his brain stops working at approx 13.00 most days, but Friday ohhhhhhhh :roll:

I wont give you all the details, you'll have to come on the ride and brewery tour for that, suffice to say that the brew went smoothly.

Please note the limited edition clock....if you're on Spence's team on Mountain Mayhem you will need a very pointy stick :LOL: He doesn't do mornings much....he looks like Linus without the little piano.

Attachments

• IMGP2274.JPG
    IMGP2274.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 457
  • IMGP2273.JPG
    IMGP2273.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 457
  • IMGP2282.JPG
    IMGP2282.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 457
  • IMGP2283.JPG
    IMGP2283.JPG