what have I bought? FW Evans 531

Yes I was joking a little with the suggestions if I am being honest ;) but as said above getting rid of it all might make it look a little sparse! Seatpost can be a problem but look up Sheldon Brown on seatpost removal for some tips.

(from a silent CTC member).

I only own one pair of mudguards.

SIMONFREESE":14zjxjnf said:
Hope my firm decision on the mirrors will not provoke the same reaction as the current Dawes Fixie no brake thread fiasco, I am new to the world of touring!!

I sure if you tried as hard as possible, you couldn't be anywhere near as annoying and offensive ;)

Good luck with the seatpost. Don't be too tempted to lever open the seatclamp lug with a screw-driver, which is one of the only reasons anyone would have removed the bolt. This can help sometimes, but as you've probably got at least 10" of seatpost inside the seat-tube, splaying the top out won't help and you might just end up cracking the paintwork.

One reason for opening the top end slightly is to help penetrating oil find its way down. I'd recommend you squirt a load of WD40 there now and give it time to soak for a few days. No matter which removal method you adopt, you'll need to have done this anyway.

It could be that someone's possibly installed a seatpost that's slightly too large in diameter. As stated, check out Sheldon. If you are quite new to bike stuff, read all his mechanic's guides - if you didn't already know it's quite a gospel.

Thanks for the advice on the seatpost, much appreciated. I am reluctant to do anything myself in case I damage the nicest frame I have ever owned!

Will have a read up, have skipped through Sheldon Brown but need to look more in depth and hopefully will find some confidence and inspriation :)

Milton01, the rack will just sit in the bike parts cupboard, so will send you a PM!

Glad that my thought on the mirrors have not caused any offence, :LOL: I found the dawes fixie thread a bit ridiculous...As someone who has had plenty of bike acidents, including a fractured skull and 6 weeks in bed, it just seems crazy that anyone would ride without brakes...

Hopefully post some better pics up soon!

More pictures:

evans1.jpg

Below I have tried to show the lugs, which look nice to me!

evans2.jpg

evans3.jpg

As you can see I have not done anything other than clean the bike up and take off the rack, I have some new tape for the bars which has not gone on yet, and may try and get some new mudguards. I took the bike for it's first ride this morning, and am very pleased. It seemed the perfect bike for a summer's day, now that we are finally having some better weather...

Ah, the long-awaited "old gate" photo! Lovely mate, very nice shot. The lugs look nice, but not as nice as the paintwork... I didn't spot that in your first pictures, looks like a quality job.

In the later days of them producing these frames they were built in small batches of 15 by a number of different manufactures, including Raleigh and Roberts, to name 2, if you ordered from the shop in The Cut they would get one made to your size for no extra cost, as part of there production run. I belive the final batch of 15 was made in 1994ish by Roberts, I have one haging on the wall and keep meaning to build it up again.

Glad you liked the gate shot Rich!

It was a nice moment to finally take it out for a ride, have been using the bike to commute this week, and it has been very enjoyable, especially now that the sun is finally out. After reading thegreenrabbit's comments about the frame I feel a bit worried about using it! My wife would never let me hang this on the wall, although I would be happy to sit and look at it :)

If anyone could recommend places for further reading about this bike I would be very grateful.

Without wanting to state the obvious, have you been to Evans recently? I see on their website that they still sell a classic tourer like yours and you might find someone there who can tell you more about where it came from. I'd also post this on the CTC forum as you're likely to find a few admirers on there!

Next target has to be a photo of the bike alone on a windswept moor, or just by the sea if you're in Saarfend!

Have a look here - http://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/evans.htm If you baught fron the shop each one was built up to the customers spec, or mail order is was a set package. I had mine built up with mainly DX, and at one stage had a full set of pace chainrings with a onza buzz saw granny ! The re-issue has center pulls and the later ones had cantis on.

Back