1994.6 Battle Tomahawk MBA Review

Review Battle Tomahawk!!!!!!!

• Publication
  • Mountain Bike Action
where in europe

I am currently located in Guernsey Channel Islands, technically not in Europe officially, but in the UK nonetheless. We can see France from here so we are quite close for trips across. The riding is very poor though. There really is no land left that isn't privately owned and you can't ride in any government owned places or cliff paths. You need to join the race club so you can get temporary permission to ride on a bit of dirt or farmer's property when it is permitted during scheduled events, but I have had enough of 'organized' riding (racing) after 18 years. But I do a cost-free series in July, "Tour of Guernsey", 7 different MTB races in 7 days, TTs, DH, XC, MotoTrack, Uphill etc...but unfortunately, it goes by points instead of accumulated time, which would be better I think. I am just here for the money, but the tax-free status on the Scale was a sweet number. Are you in the Nethers? I have been to Appledorn and Utrecht, loved it. Really nice towns I thought...not many hills though...

Les,

I often ride in the dunes. The summit is at ....59m above sealevel :shock: Add up to that the meters below sealevel and you have some serious climbing.

:LOL:

Miyata 10000, Battle & AMP photos

Hey! Check out these photos. There is a photo of my crew coming back from Ste. Anne 1995, when I saw Herbold. That was the last time I raced my Miyata 10000, which is safe in the trunk of my ‘81 Cadillac Eldorado, and is the very day that my buddy in the ONZA shirt showed me the Mountain Bike Action article on the Battle that you posted. That was the day I decided to get a Battle and it was a good idea. The guy on the left is pointing to my friend’s broken frame (sitting on the car) Mongoose AMP bike, which they replaced with a real B3. I also put up a shot of the Battle & me racing in Nannerch Wales in 1996, which I may have a side-view shot of for another day in the future. I also put up another shot from 1994 of the Miyata 10000 in action. I went through the radar trap at 99KPH and got a 3rd place in 4:11 (I think), first hardtail finisher! Killer bike all around and down the hill. So there you go, some old school action proof for sure. Even check out the first-year Troy Lee helmet that I still use today on ‘fast’ rides. The Classic Years. Full hilair!

Attachments

• bikegang95.jpg
    bikegang95.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 6,712
  • BattleInWales1996.JPG
    BattleInWales1996.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 6,712
  • Miyata10000-inQhebec.JPG
    Miyata10000-inQhebec.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 6,711
  • SteAnnePass.JPG
    SteAnnePass.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 6,712
From 1995 BIKE Workshop =>

battleBIKE2300.jpg
battleBIKE3300.jpg

From 1996 BIKE Workshop =>

battleBIKE1300.jpg

I personally like the earlier ones with the straight toptube more. Probably a bit less stiff with the longer seatstays, but more pleasing to the eye.

Battle Photo

If I remember correctly, the Battle in the lower photo is from a design not actually done by the guys from Battle, but after Dean (I think) bought the name and made a bike called Battle for 1 or 2 years maybe. I saw a mag article once that had an alloy version of that design, but it didn't light my fire like the under top-tube design either. I do have porfolio on the bike with all the original docs and promo descriptions, from that I could get exact builder's names and history of the compamy etc...probably this summer. Thanks for the info.

Frame designs redone

Following all that discussion above about frame designs, here is a 2007 model that looks suprisingly familiar to the older stuff. Note the assymetrical swingarm however, to avoid patent complications I assume. Very nice bike though...9.9kgs

Attachments

• ScottSparkLTDcopy.JPG
    ScottSparkLTDcopy.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 4,187
I think it is a proper bike, but it is of course not as good as a Battle Tomahawk :mrgreen: Wondering whether bikes like that will be discussed as heavily on Retrobike in 10yrs as our beloved bikes are now.

Thanks for sharing. It is indeed a nice bike. Cutting edge tech.

Battle Tomahawk photos

OK, so finally here are some images of my bike, owned since '94...I like it.

Attachments

• BattleTomahawk1994-1.JPG
    BattleTomahawk1994-1.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 4,011
  • BattleTomahawk1994-2.JPG
    BattleTomahawk1994-2.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 4,011
  • BattleTomahawk1994-3.JPG
    BattleTomahawk1994-3.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 4,011
Hi Les,

Long time not seen :)

I like your bike :cool: It looks expressive, burly and just as fast as the somewhat later era quasi motorbikes ...without looking like one. These were the bikes I dreamt of back then.

If you're interested in seeing my latest speed-weapon, take a look overhere => SkyExpension/Elev12k

Cool bikes

Those bikes of yours are whack old school, crazy, and most rare I imagine. Funny, I had a Team Yo Eddy too, for a short time once, never should have sold it. But you know, money was easy, and then tight in the 90's, at least it was in Canada. Sweet steel bike, sweet. I wish I had a Yo Eddy right now actually. It's like an executive version of a super nice Brodie Climbmax I suppose. Nice paint on the steel too, like liquid, Very cool. Is that a Prestige tube frame? Cheers for the look.

Back