1996 Judy XC rebuild - FINISHED (page 7) 30/05/12

Is there any reason why I can't use Rock n Roll super web grease on the internals? (bushings/inner legs, etc.)??

I've got a load of it sitting around and thought it'd be cheaper than buying more grease,, :roll:

GT-Steve":3vue55qb said:
Is there any reason why I can't use Rock n Roll super web grease on the internals? (bushings/inner legs, etc.)??

I've got a load of it sitting around and thought it'd be cheaper than buying more grease,, :roll:
I have that and I think it's too thick and sticky (it doesn't shear like the slipper greases but 'strings' which is fine in bearings races it's aimed at).
They make a much slipper grease they say for forks.
worth a try though, it's just weather it'll cause to much drag at the bushings with change of direction.
to be honest a few quid on the Super Slipper by them and you'll use it for all sorts anyway.

I can find no reason why you cannot use that grease. As long as you make sure the bottom bushing is well coated - I use a socket extension with the end wrapped in a scrap of cloth which has been taped on. Get plenty down there both sides of the bushing. For the top bushing it is much easier bit also fill the void below the seal and also the inner surface of the seal. It is concave so it can hold the grease. Greasing the stanchions doesn't really do much as it wipes off when inserting them down the legs. Saying that I always give them a very small smear and wipe it over the whole surface of the leg with my hand. I assume you are going to get the fork internals spotlessly clean first?

I use Stendec fork grease which is very similar to the original Judy Butter.

yeah, kinda makes sense now I sit down and think, that super web is a bit dry and not so slippery..

So this evening I've gently sanded the inner stanchion outer surfaces smooth (only where the wear/damage was) and they've polished up a treat.

So tomorrow if the sun's out and shiny-happy, I'll be spraying them up gunmetal, or black depending on how I feel when I wake up.. :LOL:

Then it's just a case of waiting for the springs from Kronos and I'll be putting them back together.. :cool: :cool:

So today the black hammerite (smooth) came out whilst the sun was shining...

Much fresher..

5a02f800.jpg

Did an old set of Judy T2`s in black hammer finish a few months back for the girlfriends bike, they came out really nice, i`m pretty sure the hammer finish has some kind of silver effect in it as well.

Did an old pair of Rockshox pilots in black smooth Hammerite for a mate a few months back.

Done a pair of Rockshox Psylos for my FSR in smooth white, and did a pair of Marzocchi Z1 Dropoffs in black hammer for my FSR just a couple of weeks ago.

Never had any trouble with tightening the QR`s on mine!

Yeah I'm please with the finish and it should be quite simple to maintain..

Ordered the grease/lube last night.

Ordered replacement decals, here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170827710267? ... 1423.l2649

So...next week they should get the full rebuild treatment and a test ride.. :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back