1996 Judy XC rebuild - FINISHED (page 7) 30/05/12

spares

what fantastic info and great advice better than LBS! - I will be looking into rebuilding some '96 / '97 SL's soon, can you buy the transfers (black large upper) anywhere and is there any advice on removing and replacing the bushings as I need new ones.

Steve the Dummy Leg & Oil Damper leg that go inside the Stanchions look like this Pic attached. All that sits on the top (it pops onto the top of the metal rod) is the white washer/bush/rebound thingy??? The Springs just then drop into the stanchion then you screw the adjuster on...BINGO!
Hope this Helps??

Attachments

• Judy.png
    Judy.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,498
claret73":3vqvij0u said:
Steve the Dummy Leg & Oil Damper leg that go inside the Stanchions look like this Pic attached. All that sits on the top (it pops onto the top of the metal rod) is the white washer/bush/rebound thingy??? The Springs just then drop into the stanchion then you screw the adjuster on...BINGO!
Hope this Helps??

cheers fella, very helpful, yes.. :cool:

Also, what I was refering to above, was the top 'seals' on the outers. As per the pics below, when I pop the cap off, there's nothing but the bushing up top, in there, is this right..? The exploded diagram I've been looking at suggests not.. :?

57d567ec.jpg

713fef85.jpg

Steve, what's the diagram? I have one. I'm certain you're not missing anything. I would have done the same for Paint. I can't recall anything else going in there? The only thing you may be confusing something with is the sponge wiper that sits on top of the seal under the boot, but I never put these on...

PM me an email & Ping you the diagram I have to see if it's the same...

Yes. Same as what I have...
No, I don't believe anything is missing. 5, 6 & 7 You can't get at without the right RS tools to remove the bushes. Number 5 is a bottom bumper (Dunno if this ever could come out?). In mine it was rooted at the bottom of the fork, never took it out for fork respray nor the bushes, didn't look like it was affected after paint or shotblast before.

Since I've rode mine, nothing has gone crack or sounding wrong whilst riding. So I'm guessing I built them back right...I just need to find a Tech Head for dialling them in...dunno quite how to gauge what sort of movement I should get or need for my ride weight/riding.

The Kronos Springs went on weight. Think I have the lightest set...

Perfect, that's completey cleared any fears up.

Sadly, I had to go for the heaviest weight load springs.. :oops: :LOL:

I wasn't boasting! Neither am I anorexic... :LOL:

If anybody else comes along with better info, I'd take note just in case. But these are my observations when having stripped my forks down. I bought some Fork Grease from CRC as was told not to use Lithium on the Stanchions. Just gave the Outer legs (inside) a gentle coating deep into the bottom so as to coat the bushes. Did this with a Bottle Brush...They really are straightforward as a rebuild can be & I'm no Tech Head nor a Bike Shop Mechanic BITD, but I would like to get mine dialled...

The bottom rubber is the 'bottom out bumper', they do come out. spokes are good for that.
The other part you think you are missing is a 'foam ring' insert. But that was introduced in the 1997 spec probably. Not the earlier 95/6 spec you have.

Nope that is the only seal you have, as there is no oil or air to worry about. Just a simple dust/dirt wiper.

I'd just like to Add, that Fluffy was a Mine of Info when I rebuilt mine!! So most of what I've said came from him (Not passing the buck)...Just an overdue Thanks! For all the help I received when tackling mine...

Back