Help with a tired old Bianchi - project

The derailleurs arrived today, so I was seriously hoping I might ride the bike, or at least get it in a condition where it could be ridden (it's absolutely wazzing it down)

Anyway, first off the front derailleur I got is a bloody reverse action one. So that's going to have to go - luckily the front I have is still ok.

Some what more annoyingly, I noticed that the rear cassette isn't free wheeling. I can't believe I didn't notice it before but there we go.

As luck would have it, I bought a box of old bike bits at a car boot this morning and in there is a Regina corsa 5 speed cassette. It's got a Regina extra on there at the moment. How would I go about getting the old one off and the replacement on? Here is what I picked up this morning

6f5132ab.jpg

One way to get the rear freewheel to work again is firstly to purge it with WD40 / Plus Gas. Then dunk it in a tin of motor oil for an hour and drain...

You could always try dousing it in WD40 / Plus Gas / Holy Water and leaving it for a bit. To get it off you'll need a specific tool. You might try your friends in Halfords again, or another bike shop if you want to spread the favours owed...

He had the right size, didn't think he had ever used it before. Wouldn't sell it to me though :LOL:

Got both of them in a bath of motor oil, so have to see what happens there.

edit: would this fit? Or is the threading different?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-5-SPE ... 2c63aa375e

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Not too bad, I took a punt on that free wheel - hopefully it will thread on ok - but if a shame but the original one is totally seized up. I wonder if it is just broken, might explain the damage to the derailleur and why it stopped being used.

Got white bar tape through on saturday, but I won't be putting it on until I've ridden it a little - just in case I need to take the levers off or anything.

Will have to bump my wanted thread and see if I can't get a saddle cheaply

The new freewheel arrived this afternoon, and it went on no problems. So I actually managed to ride the thing today! Only round the block, the brake pads are absolutely dead. New saddle is on it's way thanks to Simon, bar tape will be going on once I am comfortable with the set up.

White brake hoods and new brake pads are the only things left to get now. I've decided to keep the original seat post for now. Will be keeping an eye out for some pedals.

1ff9683a.jpg

Back